Connect with us

Politics

INEC Lists Electoral Offenders For Prosecution

Published

on

INEC Lists Electoral Offenders For Prosecution

The Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, is set to prosecute over 200 persons arrested for various electoral offences during the just concluded general elections.

Already, the Nigeria Police Force has transferred over 50 case files of electoral offences to the electoral umpire.

Giving updates on the number of case files INEC offices across the country had received from the police and how many electoral offenders had been handed over to it, the Chief Press Secretary to the INEC Chairman, Rotimi Oyekanmi, told Saturday PUNCH in an exclusive interview on Friday, “The commission has received over 50 case files from the police authorities. There are over 200 accused persons set for prosecution.

“The commission has directed its Litigation and Prosecution Department to study the files and advise it on the prosecution. The department has since commenced action and as soon as it finishes, it will revert to the commission accordingly.”

On March 13, 2023, the Inspector-General of Police, Usman Baba, directed commissioners of police in charge of state commands to ensure investigation in all cases of violation of the Electoral Act during the February 25, 2023 presidential and National Assembly polls.

The IG directed them to swiftly conclude investigation and forward the case files to INEC for prosecution.

On March 14, the Chairman of INEC, Prof Mahmood Yakubu, said the commission was setting up a legal team to deal with cases of electoral offenders during the February 25 presidential and National Assembly polls.

On March 28, Baba directed that all electoral offences case files should be submitted to the Commissioner of Police in charge of the legal unit.

This, according to him, is to enable central collation and coordinated processing to the legal unit of INEC preparatory to the commencement of the prosecution process.

He gave an assurance that the NPF would collaborate with the INEC leadership in ensuring that all electoral offenders were expeditiously and transparently prosecuted not only in the interest of criminal justice, but in furtherance of the police’s vision of sanitising its electoral space.

Baba spoke at a meeting with strategic police managers of the NPF comprising deputy inspectors-general of police and members of the force management team, assistant inspectors-general of police, commissioners of police and other tactical commanders in Abuja.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Dino Melaye Wins PDP Guber Ticket

Published

on

Dino Melaye Wins PDP Guber Ticket

Dino Melaye has been selected as the Peoples Democratic Party’s (PDP) candidate for the Kogi State governorship election.

The former senator who served as Kogi West’s representative in the National Assembly will contest the Kogi Gubernatorial, which is set for November 11, 2023.

Dino received 313 votes, defeating Jabiru Usman, who received 127 votes and was his closest challenger.

READ ALSO: Atiku Rules Out Exile Plan, Attacks Protesters

At the conclusion of the indirect primary conducted in Lokoja, the capital of Kogi State, on Sunday, Ahmed Makarfi, the chairman of the PDP primary Election Committee, declared the outcomes.

Yomi Awoniyi, a former deputy governor, received 77 votes, and Musa Wada, the PDP’s candidate for governor in 2019, received 56 votes.

Dino will run in the November 11, 2023 election with Usman Ododo, a former Kogi State Auditor General of Local Government and candidate for the All Progressive Congress (APC) in the state. Yahaya Bello, the current governor, had backed Ododo a few days earlier.

Continue Reading

Politics

Trump Vows Criminal Conviction Won’t Stop Him From 2024 Presidential Run

Published

on

Senate Overrides Trump’s Veto Of Major National Security Bill

Continue Reading

Politics

Atiku Rules Out Exile Plan, Attacks Protesters

Published

on

Atiku Rules Out Exile Plan, Attacks Protesters

A group of protesters under the aegis of The Natives, has appealed to the presidential candidate of Labour Party, Peter Obi, and his counterpart in the Peoples Democratic Party, Atiku Abubakar, not to abandon the country following their loss in the February 25 poll.

But in swift response, Atiku, through his Special Assistant on Communications, Phrank Shaibu, slammed the protesters, saying he did not owe the group an explanation of travel itinerary.

The call by the group came barely one week after Obi came under attack over a leaked audio where he allegedly described the 2023 elections as a religious war.

While denying the allegation, Obi had tweeted via his official Twitter handle that he was under pressure to leave the country

Reacting to Obi, the Director of New Media of the All Progressives Congress Presidential Campaign Council, Fani-Kayode, had on his Twitter handle, said Obi was free to leave the country.

“Please do us all a big favour and go! Sooner the better and never come back!” Fani-Kayode wrote.

But addressing newsmen during their peaceful protest in Abuja on Wednesday, Convener of The Natives, Smart Edward, urged Obi, Atiku and other dejected candidates not to embark on exile out of frustration.

Continue Reading

Trending