Connect with us

Tech

Elon Musk tells Twitter staff to work long hours or leave

Published

on

According to sources, Elon Musk has instructed Twitter employees that they either commit to working “long hours at high intensity” or leave the company.

According to the Washington Post, the new owner of the social media firm stated in an email to employees that if they wanted to stay, they should adhere to the commitment.

Those who do not sign up by Thursday will receive three months’ severance pay, according to Mr Musk.

The BBC has reached out to Twitter for comment.

Mr Musk stated in an email to colleagues, which The Guardian obtained, that Twitter “will need to be extremely hardcore” in order to thrive.

“This will mean working long hours at high intensity. Only exceptional performance will constitute a passing grade,” he said.

Workers were told that they needed to click on a link by 17:00 EST on Thursday, if they want to be “part of the new Twitter”.

He added: “Whatever decision you make, thank you for your efforts to make Twitter successful.”

After purchasing the company for $44 billion (£38.7 billion), the world’s richest man has already announced the layoff of half of its employees.

Mr Musk stated that he had “no choice” but to make the changes because the company was losing $4 million (£3.51 million) every day. He has attributed a “huge loss in revenue” on “activist groups lobbying advertising.”
Following his acquisition of the company, a slew of key Twitter executives resigned as well.

According to sources, the entrepreneur told Twitter employees last week that remote working will be discontinued and that “tough times” lay ahead.

According to Bloomberg, the owner of the social media firm stated in an email to employees that employees will be required to work at least 40 hours each week.

Mr Musk went on to say that there was “no way to sugarcoat the reality” that the weakening global economy would hurt Twitter’s ad revenue.

However, tech investor Sarah Kunst claims that the true reason Twitter is in trouble is that Mr Musk’s buyout has loaded the company with debt.

According to her, his behavior after the takeover has caused several advertisers to suspend their expenditure.

“He’s now trying to inflict that pain and uncertainty on the employees,” she said.

She said that there was some doubt about how enforceable Mr Musk’s communication about staff hours was.

“Can you just send an email to staff who already work for you, and just unilaterally change their working contract? That is yet to be determined.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

Tech

US Bans Sale of Chinese Tech Amid Security Fears

Published

on

The United States has prohibited the sale and import of new communications equipment from five Chinese companies, including Huawei and ZTE, due to national security concerns.

Hikvision, Dahua, and Hytera are also included as manufacturers of video surveillance equipment and two-way radio systems.

It is the first time that US regulators have taken such a step for security reasons.

Hikvision claims that their goods pose no security risk to the United States.

It stated that the decision “would do nothing to protect US national security, but will significantly increase the risk and cost for US small enterprises, local governments, school districts, and individual consumers to safeguard themselves, their homes, businesses, and property.”

Previously, Huawei and others denied providing data to the Chinese government.

The US Federal Communications Commission (FCC) announced on Friday that its members had voted unanimously to adopt the new rules.

“The FCC is committed to protecting our national security by ensuring that untrustworthy communications equipment is not authorised for use within our borders,” the commission’s chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel said in a statement.

“These new rules are an important part of our ongoing actions to protect the American people from national security threats involving telecommunications,” she added.

Because the restriction is not retroactive, the companies mentioned may continue to sell products that were previously approved for sale in the United States.

However, the FCC stated that it is collecting opinion on future modifications to the rules involving equipment previously authorized to be imported or sold, implying that existing authorizations may be removed in the future.

The US restrictions are the latest imposed on Chinese IT businesses in response to surveillance fears, which US officials have grown increasingly concerned about in recent years.

Actions to restrict Chinese telecom corporations’ access to the US market initially took root during Barack Obama’s presidency. They were then accelerated during Donald Trump’s presidency and have continued under current US President Joe Biden’s rule.

Continue Reading

Tech

Mercedes to introduce acceleration subscription fee

Published

on

Mercedes-Benz will launch an online subscription service in the United States to help its electric vehicles accelerate faster.

The company would allow certain of its vehicles to sprint from 0-60mph in less than a second for an annual payment of $1,200 (£991) excluding tax.

It comes after competitor automaker BMW introduced a subscription service for heated seats earlier this year.

Mercedes has indicated that it does not intend to introduce “Acceleration Increase” in the UK at this time.

It will be offered in the United States on the Mercedes-EQ EQE 350 and EQS 450, as well as their SUV cousins.

According to the Mercedes US online store, the technology “electronically enhances” the output and torque of the car’s motor.

BMW received outrage in July after announcing that consumers may pay £25 per month to unlock heated seats and steering wheels in their vehicles.

Toyota also stated in December 2021 that it would charge select drivers $8 per month to remotely start their automobiles using a key fob.

Tesla introduced “Acceleration Boost” in 2019, which allows Model 3 vehicles to accelerate from 0-60mph in half a second for a one-time fee of $2,000.

The US Mercedes storefront lists the Acceleration Increase subscription as “coming soon,” with no specific release date.

Continue Reading

Tech

Musk says Twitter will offer ‘amnesty’ to suspended accounts

Published

on

Elon Musk has stated that Twitter will grant “universal amnesty” to certain suspended accounts beginning next week.

This comes after he launched a poll on Twitter on Wednesday, asking people if accounts that had “not breached the law or engaged in flagrant spam” should be allowed back on the platform.

Mr Musk has already restored several accounts, including that of former US President Donald Trump.

Last month, the world’s richest man paid $44 billion (£36.3 billion) for Twitter.

Mr Musk’s poll received over 3.1 million responses, with 72.4% voting “Yes.”

“The populace has spoken. The amnesty period begins next week “Mr Musk, who has 118.7 million followers on Twitter, later tweeted.

He also used the Latin phrase “the voice of the people is the voice of God.”

Continue Reading

Trending