Connect with us

World News

Kyiv Claims Major Gains as Russia Exits Kherson

Published

on

Ukraine President Zelenskyy Laments Neglect By US, Others

After Russia announced its withdrawal from Kherson, the Ukrainian army claims to have made significant gains in the last day.

Ukrainian army claim to have retaken the strategic town of Snihurivka, 50 kilometers (30 miles) north of Kherson.

Kyiv has also claimed significant successes on two fronts near Kherson, including 7km advances in some spots.

Russia says it has begun to withdraw from the city, its most significant gain in the assault, although the process might take weeks.

The announcement on Wednesday was viewed as a major setback for Moscow’s war effort, but Ukrainian officials were skeptical, warning that the maneuver could be a trap.

There was no indication of a large-scale Russian departure from Kherson.

On Thursday, Ukraine’s commander-in-chief, Valeriy Zaluzhny, said he couldn’t confirm or refute the withdrawal, but claimed his own forces had made significant advances.

Gen Zaluzhny claimed his troops had advanced on two fronts on the western bank of the Dnipro river, which includes Kherson, capturing control of 12 communities.

He claimed that the 7km gains were made “in the last day” as troops advanced along a northern-eastern axis and a separate western axis.

Soldiers were greeted by locals in a square after entering the town of Snihurivka, according to video footage.

Snihurivka is located at a key crossroads and serves as a rail hub for the Mykolaiv region, which borders Kherson to the north and west.

The regional administration in Mykolaiv announced “plenty of excellent news today” on the Telegram messaging app.

On Thursday night, it fueled speculation that Ukrainian troops had reached the outskirts of Kherson itself, after cryptically posting a single letter – “ch” in Ukrainian.

This was interpreted as a probable indication that troops had arrived in the suburban settlement of Chornobayivka.

During their advances in southern Ukraine, Ukrainian troops reclaimed more than 40 settlements from Russian control, according to President Volodymyr Zelensky.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

Israel Conducts Air Strikes in Gaza – John Cookson

Published

on

Continue Reading

World News

UKRAINE: Biden Rules Out Sending F-16 Fighter Jets

Published

on

Despite fresh appeals for air help from Ukrainian leaders, US President Joe Biden has ruled out sending F-16 fighter planes to Ukraine.

Asked by a reporter on Monday if the US would be delivering the planes, Mr Biden said simply “no”.

His remarks came only one day after Germany’s Chancellor ruled out sending combat planes.

Ukraine has stated that the planes are required to take control of its airspace amid the ongoing conflict with Russia.

F-16 Fighting Falcons are widely regarded as one of the most dependable fighter planes in the world, and are deployed by countries such as Belgium and Pakistan.

They would represent a considerable advance over Ukraine’s existing Soviet-era fighter planes, which were built before the nation proclaimed independence from the USSR more than 30 years ago.

However, Mr. Biden has consistently turned down Ukraine’s request for the planes, preferring to focus on other areas of military support.

The United States stated last week that it will equip Kyiv with 31 Abrams tanks, with the United Kingdom and Germany also committing similar assistance.

Andrii Melnyk, Ukraine’s Deputy Foreign Minister, praised the declaration but encouraged partners to form a “fighter aircraft coalition” to give Ukraine with Eurofighters, Tornados, French Rafales, and Swedish Gripen jets.

In an interview on Sunday, Germany’s chancellor said it “seemed silly” to debate delivering more military equipment to Ukraine after committing to provide the Leopard 2s.

Olaf Scholz also told the German daily Tagesspiegel that NATO was not at war with Russia and that “such an escalation” would not be tolerated.

Moscow has accused Nato of acting as an aggressor by proxy, and countries of the alliance, like the United States and Germany, have been hesitant to give military help, which may exacerbate the crisis.

Emmanuel Macron, the French President, repeated this position on Monday, stating that while “nothing is prohibited” when it comes to offering assistance to Ukraine, it must neither inflame the situation or limit France’s capacity to protect itself.

Other EU nations, like the Netherlands, have yet to confirm if they would send fighter planes.

Poland, on the other hand, has stated that it is willing to send fighter planes in coordination with Nato.

Continue Reading

World News

Alozie, Nigerian Immigration Consultant, Jailed 2Years For Fraud

Published

on

Alozie, Nigerian Immigration Consultant Fraud, Receives 2 Years

A Nigerian man residing in Manitoba, Canada, Chinenye Alozie who fabricated bank records and other papers to help would-be immigrants gain entrance to the country has been sentenced to two years in house arrest.

In accordance with the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act, the 35-year-old admitted to operating as an unlicensed immigration consultant and falsely portraying or omitting information on immigration applications.

READ ALSO: ICPC Arrests Former JAMB Registrar, Dibu Ojerinde

The violations, according to Winnipeg Free Press, concerned Alozie’s interactions with more than 60 foreign persons, the majority of whom were students, between 2014 and 2019.

Following information that Alozie had been marketing his services to international students online, the Canadian Border Services Agency became aware of him in late 2018.

Chinenye Alozie admitted to providing unlicensed immigration advice and omitting or falsifying information on immigration petitions.

At a sentencing hearing on Tuesday, Crown attorney Matthew Sinclair informed Provincial Court Judge Stacy Cawley that Alozie “is neither a licensed immigration expert nor a lawyer.” He is not authorized to speak on behalf of individuals on their applications.

Alozie’s bank records revealed deposits of $90,000 in 2016 and $120,000 in 2017 from individuals who are thought to be foreign nationals, according to Sinclair.

52 deposits were discovered after an examination by Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada to be from individuals requesting to enter Canada temporarily as students, laborers, or guests.

Records submitted to the border services organization revealed that between 2014 and 2018, Alozie paid 61 immigration applicants’ government fees using his own credit cards.

Continue Reading

Trending