Connect with us

National News

ASUU: NLC Warns Of Strike If Union Demands Are Not Met

Published

on

NLC Warns FG Of Nationwide Strike If ASUU Demands Are Not Met

The Nigeria Labour Congress (NLC) has warned the Federal Government of a 3-days nationwide strike if Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) demands are not met in the next 21 days.

This was disclosed by the congress’ Chairman, Ayuba Wabbba, during a pre-May Day rally held in Abuja, stating that within the 21-days ultimatum, a protest will be held.

The NLC’s President added that FG is also to meet the demands of the three-university-based unions; Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU), Senior Staff Association of Nigeria Universities (SSANU), and National Association of Academic Technologists (NAAT).

READ ALSO: 2023 Presidential Race: Amaechi, Others Risk Disqualification

“Within the span of the subsisting 21-day ultimatum given by Congress, the NLC will hold nationwide protests against the current strike action affecting students of Nigeria’s public universities and occasioned by government’s failure to honor the agreement reached with trade unions in our universities. Wabba said.

“The protest is to draw the attention of the government to the inherent catastrophe in the emerging culture of social apartheid in our society especially as marked by a prolonged lockout of students from working-class and poor homes from our public universities while the children of the rich continue their academic pursuits uninterrupted.

“If at the end of the national protest and the 21-day ultimatum, the federal government still fails to resolve the industrial crises in Nigerian universities, the Congress would be left with no other option than to embark on a 3-day nationwide warning strike action in solidarity with our affiliates in the universities and with Nigerian students whose future and wellbeing are being robbed.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

National News

ICPC Finds Billions In Cash In The Home Of Ex-Chief Of Army Staff, Buratai

Published

on

ICPC Finds Billions In Cash In The Home Of Ex-Chief Of Army Staff, Buratai

The Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission (ICPC) has uncovered N1.85 billion cash in the home of former Chief of Army Staff, Tukur Buratai.

This was disclosed by a source who pleaded for anonymity, as the cash is said to be part of the billions of naira earmarked for the purchase of arms and ammunition.

“Last week Thursday, ICPC officials stormed a house in Wuse area of Abuja, beside National Open University, and arrested a man, Kabiru Salisu after they saw N850 million cash in the house. The source revealed. 

READ ALSO: FCA Fines Bank £5.8Mn Over Counter-Terrorist Financing

“He claimed the money belonged to Tukur Buratai who was in Cotonou at that time.

“Officials of the ICPC took him to an office where another N1billion in cash was also discovered. Also, bulletproof cars, BMW, G-Wagon worth N450m were recovered.”

According to another source, the Ex-Chief of Staff is claiming the money found to be only N30m.

Buratai told newsmen via a call, that the anti-graft office had no warrant to search his property.

“Nobody obtained any warrants to search my place. He said by telephone.

Buratai, a retired Lieutenant-General was the Chief of Army Staff between 2015 and 2021. He is currently Nigeria’s Ambassador to Benin Republic.

Continue Reading

National News

INEC Refutes Claims Of CVR Extension

Published

on

INEC Refutes Claims Of CVR Extension

The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) has refuted claims of an extension of continuous voter registration.

This was disclosed by the Chief Press Secretary to the Chairman of the electorate commission, Rotimi Oyekanmi.

“INEC has not announced an extension of the CVR deadline. He said.

READ ALSO: INEC To Obey Court’s Order, Extend Registration Deadline

The declaration counters what had been earlier revealed by the Chairman of the House of Representatives Committee on Electoral Matters, Aishatu Jibril, stating an extension to the exercise.

“The Committee held a meeting with INEC yesterday (Tuesday) and they agreed to extend the CVR by 60 days, all our resolutions were approved,” Jibril briefed lawmakers during a plenary session.

The Socio-Economic Rights and Accountability Project (SERAP) had filed a case against INEC, for a further extension of the registration.

A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja had issued an order stopping INEC from ending the ongoing voters’ registration exercise.

The exercise, which was meant to end on June 30, has been greeted by calls for an extension.

The House of Representatives has faulted media reports associating it with the extension of the ongoing CVR.

The House Committee on INEC, Hajia Aisha Dukku, said the decision on the shift is left to Prof Mahmoud Yakubu-led INEC to take.

Continue Reading

National News

Owo Killings: Buhari Vows To Punish Perpetrators

Published

on

Why Nnamdi Kanu Can't Be Granted Bail Again -Buhari

President Muhammadu Buhari has vowed to punish those who are responsible for the Owo killings and other recent killings in Ondo and Kaduna State.

This was disclosed in a statement signed by the President’s media aide, Garba Shehu, as he described the attacks as politically-motivated, and aimed at diving the nation.

The statement read;

READ ALSO: Herdsmen Invade Catholic Church In Ondo, Kill Worshippers

“From the tragedy in Owo two weeks ago that shook our nation to its core, to the killings and kidnappings just this weekend in Kaduna State, it is clear that there is a design by wicked people to put the country under religious stress.

“President Muhammadu Buhari believes that our religious freedom, our diversity, is what makes Nigeria great. It is this diversity that gives Nigeria its strength. That is why Nigeria’s enemies seek to destroy it, by pitting us against one another.

“We will not let them. The nation will not be distracted or divided by these obviously planned and politically motivated criminal outrages. The perpetrators are cowards; weak and wicked men with guns murdering, in cold blood, unarmed women and children at their places of worship.

“As for the cowards, they will be punished for their crimes. We will bring them to justice. Rest assured that the full might of Nigeria’s formidable security and intelligence forces are involved in that endeavor.”

Recall, that on Sunday, June 5, 2022, some unidentified terrorists invaded St. Francis Catholic Church, Owo, Ondo State, killing scores of men, women, and children.

Continue Reading

Trending