Connect with us

General News

2 Die As Bandits Impose Levy On Gold Site Operators In Katsina

Published

on

2 Die As Bandits Impose Levy On Gold Site Operators In Katsina

Bandits in Katsina have started imposing N10,000 levies on the operators at a gold processing site in the Jibia Local Government Area of the state.

The levies on the site situated in Bakin Korama community in Magama Jibia border town of the council would enable them to have an uninterrupted running of the site.

Residents disclosed that no fewer than 70 small-scale gold processing centres were operating at the site, which was opened about two weeks ago.

It was learnt that the bandits imposed the levy on the operators after invading the site last week’s Thursday, killing two of the operators.

According to the residents, the attack commenced around 8:00pm and lasted two hours.

Five other operators were also said to have been injured in the attack, while the gunmen allegedly abducted 11 workers from the site.

The Chairman of the Katsina Minerals Processors, Tasi’u Abdullahi, confirmed the incident.

He revealed that the bandits later released one of the abducted operators, who they directed to deliver a letter conveying the imposition of the levy.

Abdullahi, who spoke in Hausa, said, “On Thursday, bandits launched an attack around 8.10pm. They came through a neighbouring river. On arrival, they started collecting money from the people after a boy announced their arrival to people by shouting ‘bandits, bandits.’ They killed two of our people, injured five others, and kidnapped 11.

“I later received a report from a nearby village head that one of the kidnapped victims was eventually sent by the bandits with a handwritten letter saying that the attack launched by the hoodlums was just the beginning. They are, however, seeking our cooperation by always ensuring that we follow their policy.

“The policy is that the processing centres should be raising a contribution of N10,000. They also revealed that there are currently 11 people in their custody.

Confirming the incident, Katsina State Police Public Relations Officer, SP Gambo Isah said investigation had commenced on the matter.

He said, “Yes, the bandits attacked the processing site, killed two people, and injured some others who were later taken to hospital for treatment. We have already launched an investigation into the real motives of the bandits.”

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

General News

FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup: Nigeria’s Falconets Wins Opening Game

Published

on

FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup: Nigeria’s Falconets Wins Opening Game

Nigeria’s Falconets have begun the FIFA U20 Women’s World Cup in Costa Rica with a win, defeating France 1-0 on Friday in Group D’s opening match.

The two-time runner-up against all odds defeated Europe’s top team France after an hour-long delay and gameplay under tough rain.

The goal came late in the game, as Falconets’ top scorer in the African qualifying series, Flourish Sabastine’s strike in the 85th minutes led her team to victory.

READ ALSO: Smithies: Leicester Signs Schmeichel Replacement

Nigeria U20 women started the game well regardless of the weather that hindered movements of the ball, as Esther Onyenezide who operates from the Falconets midfield still caused panic in the French team’s vital area with an intelligent free kick barely seven minutes into the game.

With the rains still pouring, Mexican referee Francia Gonzales opted to stop the game in the 20th minute as visibility was increasingly becoming impossible for both teams.

The suspension lasted exactly one hour.

Magnaba Folquet had to desperately clear the ball from goal eight minutes after the resumption, as Nigeria pushed forward.

In the second half, both teams fought even harder. Two minutes before the hour mark, Mercy Idoko failed to connect properly at the end of a sweet team move, and 20 minutes from time, goalkeeper Oyono Omini provided a critical block in the vital area as France surged forward.

In the 72nd minute, substitute Chiamaka Okwuchukwu was hindered from getting anything positive as Flourish Sabastine got a cross into the French vital area.

The game flowed from end to end as both teams attacked with zest and defended resolutely.

Substitute Jade Nassi thought she had put France ahead when she slotted home from a goalmouth melee that followed a corner kick in the 80th minute, but referee Gonzales consulted the Video Assistant Referee who correctly ruled out the strike.

Five minutes later, Nigeria got the goal that their effort and enterprise deserved when Flourish Sabastine raced onto a brilliant Mercy Idoko pass, kept her composure, and slotted past goalkeeper Marie-Morgane Sieber with some flourish.

The Falconets’ next game is on Sunday against the Korea Republic at the Estadio Alajuela Morera Soto. Victory in that game will automatically assure Nigeria of a place in the tournament’s quarter-finals.

Continue Reading

General News

Abuja-Kaduna Train: Why We Can’t Use Lethal Military Force On Abductors, Buhari Explains

Published

on

Abuja-Kaduna Train: Why We Can't Use Lethal Military Force On Abductors, Buhari Explains

President Muhammadu Buhari has stated ‘collateral damage’ as the reason behind the refusal of lethal military force for the rescue of abducted Abuja-Kaduna train passengers.

The President disclosed this in a tweet after he met with families of abducted passengers, assuring safe return for the captives.

“We have received and evaluated several suggestions about the deployment of lethal military force to rescue the abducted train passengers. Buhari wrote.

READ ALSO: Bandits Free More Kidnapped Kaduna Train Passengers

However, with no guarantee of a successful outcome and of minimal collateral damage, that course of action has had to be reluctantly discarded.

It is understandable that emotions typically run high at times like this. We’re just as keen to bring this sad chapter to an end, but we are also determined to safely return all the remaining victims to their families. My primary concern is to get everyone released SAFE & UNHURT.

Recall, that on the 28th of March, unknown gunmen attacked the Abuja-Kaduna train with an Improvised Explosive Device (IED), and abducted many passengers.

No less than eight (8) people were killed, with many others injured.

The terrorist, on Wednesday, August 10, 2022, released seven of the kidnapped passengers, as reported by NEWSRAND.

The victims were released after spending 135 days in the custody of the terrorists.

The development brought to 52 the number of victims that had regained their freedom since the unfortunate incident.

Continue Reading

General News

Ondo Church Attack: 2 More ISWAP Leaders Arrested -Army

Published

on

Ondo Church Attack: 2 More ISWAP Leaders Arrested -Army

The Nigerian Army has disclosed the arrest of two more leaders of the Islamic State of West Africa (ISWAP) who are linked to the deadly June 5, 2022, terrorist attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo in Ondo State.

It would be recalled that on Sunday, June 5, some gunmen invaded St. Xavier catholic church in Owo, Ondo State, and left no less than 40 worshippers dead.

The incident immediately sent many people in Ondo State into panic, as the assailants threatened more attacks.

Addressing members of the public on the outcome of an ongoing investigation of the incident, the Chief of Defence Staff, General Lucky Irabor, on Tuesday, August 9, 2022, stated that the terrorists behind the attack have been arrested.

More so, in the late hours of Wednesday, August 10, Director Defence Information, Major General Jimmy Akpor, in a statement, gave the names of the newly-arrested suspects are – Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris.

The statement read: “Recall that the Chief of Defence Staff (CDS), General Lucky Irabor, during his parley with media executives and editors yesterday, Tuesday 9 August 2022, informed of the arrest of 4 terrorists among those who carried out the attack on St Francis Catholic Church, Owo on 5 June 2022. They were arrested through a combined operation by military and DSS personnel at Eika, Okehi LGA, Kogi State on 1 August 2022. Those arrested include Idris Abdulmalik Omeiza (a.k.a Bin Malik), Momoh Otohu Abubakar, Aliyu Yusuf Itopa and Auwal Ishaq Onimisi.

Barely few hours after the disclosure by the CDS of the arrest of 4 of the Owo Catholic Church attackers, 2 additional ISWAP terrorists, who were also connected to the attack on the church were apprehended at Omialafara (Omulafa), Ose LGA, Ondo State yesterday, 9 August 2022. The arrests were made through the collaborative effort by military and DSS personnel. The suspects are Al-Qasim Idris and Abdulhaleem Idris. It is instructive to note that Abdulhaleem, alongside other high profile ISWAP commanders, had also previously coordinated attacks on military targets in Okene, Okene LGA, Kogi State resulting in casualties.

It is the avowed commitment of the leadership of the military, Nigeria Police, DSS and other security agencies to work in synergy to enthrone peace and security all over the country. This is due to the need for collaboration as an essential requirement to successfully deal with the existential asymmetric threats currently bedeviling our dear nation, Nigeria.”

Continue Reading

Trending