Connect with us

World News

Gambia’s Barrow Wins 2nd Term Election

Published

on

Gambia’s Barrow Wins 2nd Term Election

Adama Barrow comfortably won a second term in The Gambia’s presidential election, with thousands of his supporters celebrating in the streets of Banjul, although his opponents disputed the results announced late Sunday.

Barrow, whose assumption of the presidency five years ago ended more than 20 years of dictatorship, garnered more than 53 percent of the vote, according to results released by the electoral commission. His main challenger Ousainou Darboe won 27.7 percent.

Saturday’s election, the first since former dictator Yahya Jammeh fled into exile, is seen as crucial for the young West African democracy.

Electoral commission chairman Alieu Momarr Njai declared Barrow the winner, announcing the final results to journalists hours after rival candidates had challenged partial results that gave him a commanding lead.

Crowds of Barrow’s supporters marched through the streets of the capital to a din of horns and danced on a vast esplanade.

Barrow received a standing ovation when he addressed them with “a great sense of joy and humility” and called on his supporters to respect those who voted for his opponents in a “free, fair and transparent election”.

I will do all I can and utilise every resource at my disposal to make The Gambia a better place for us all,” he said.

Before the full results were announced, three of Barrow’s rivals had rejected partial results that gave him an early lead.

At this stage we reject the results announced so far”, Darboe and two other candidates said in a joint statement. “All actions are on table.”

Gambians flocked to the polling booths Saturday to choose who would lead their country — the smallest in mainland Africa — for the next five years, with turnout at 87 per cent, according to official results.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

World News

How Police Racially Profiled Me – Nigerian-born Canadian Minister

Published

on

"How I Was Racially Profiled By The Police" - Nigerian-born Canadian Minister

Nigerian-born Canadian Justice Minister, ‘Kaycee Madu’, who was suspended from office, has cleared the air concerning his alleged traffic violations.

NEWSRAND had earlier reported that Madu was asked to step aside from his seat following an ongoing investigation of the Nigerian-born asking through a phone call for the revocation of his ticket fine for a driving violation.

The suspended minister took to his official social media handle to tweet about his call to the Edmonton Police Chief, stating that he never asked for his ticket to be rescinded.

READ ALSO: Nigerian-born Canadian Justice Minister Suspended From Office. Here’s Why

Adding to the report, he allegedly accused the police force of racial profiling of minorities, adding his own experiences.

Part of the tweets read; “I was pulled over by an officer of the Edmonton Police Service. The officer indicated that he had observed me driving while distracted, alleging that I was on my phone.

“I disagreed, stating that I was not on my phone, as it was in an inside pocket. To be absolutely clear my phone was inside the left-hand side pocket of my suit and I was wearing a winter jacket. I identified myself and drove away.

“Later, I spoke to Chief McFee to share the experience I have just had, and specifically for two reasons.

“First, due to the timing of the incident, I wanted to ensure that I was not being unlawfully surveilled following the Lethbridge Police Service controversy, and on my way to Legislature on a day I was meeting with the media to answer questions on Lethbridge Police Service.

“Second, I also raised concerns around profiling of racial minorities that were in the media at the time and wanted the Chief to hear about my own experience. As Minister, these are concerns that were constantly being brought to my attention.

Madu revealed that the Edmond police Chief had assured him that he was not racially profiled and that he never asked for revocation of the ticket.

“I want to be abundantly clear, at no point did I request that the ticket be rescinded. I can assure you that in my life I would never do any such thing.

“With all these in mind, I am one that always hold myself accountable for my actions. I respect the Premier’s direction for me to take a temporary leave of absence pending the outcome of the independent investigation.

Continue Reading

World News

Nigerian-Born Canadian Justice Minister Suspended From Office. Here’s Why

Published

on

Nigerian-Born Canadian Justice Minister Suspended From Office

Nigerian-born Canadian Minister of Justice and Solicitor General Kaycee Madu’, has been suspended from office pending the finalization of his ongoing investigation.

The Nigerian has been accused of asking for revocation from Edmonton’s police chief of his ticket fine for a driving violation.

Jason Kenney, the18th Premier of Alberta, revealed the suspension via a tweet, adding that Sonya Savage will act as the Justice Minister in his place.

READ ALSO: Tinubu: Can We Continually Abide In Sin That Grace May Abound?

“In the interim period, I have asked Minister Madu to step back from his ministerial duties,” Kennedy tweeted on Tuesday.

“Minister Sonya Savage will act as Minister of Justice and Solicitor General during Minister Madu’s leave of absence,” he said.

According to the official reports, Madu was fined on March 10, 2021, $300 for being on his cell phone while driving in a school zone.

The reports said he allegedly called Edmonton police, Chief Dale McFee to discuss the ticket.

Madu said he was pulled over by an Edmonton police officer, who alleged he was driving while on his phone. But disagrees with the offense, saying his phone was in his pocket.

Court records showed that Madu was issued a ticket for operating a vehicle while using a cell phone for which he paid the $300 fine two days later.

Madu insists that he did not commit the offense and suggested that the issue could be linked to matters of racial profiling happening at that time.

“To be abundantly clear, at no point did I request that the ticket be rescinded. I would never do that. However, in that particular call, I regret raising the issue at all with Chief McFee,” Madu said.

“Due to the timing of the incident, I wanted to ensure that I was not being unlawfully surveilled following the controversy surrounding the Lethbridge Police Service. I also raised concerns around profiling of racial minorities that were in the media at the time,” he added.

But Alberta opposition party NDP justice critic Irfan Sabir said Madu’s actions were “wholly unacceptable” and called for his resignation.

Sabir accused Madu of using “his position as minister to initiate this conversation, and regardless of whether he asked the chief to cancel the ticket, it is political interference for him to have discussed it all.”

Kennedy said he “will appoint a respected independent investigator to review the relevant facts and to determine whether there was interference in the administration of justice in this case.”

Continue Reading

World News

WHO Approves 2 New COVID-19 Treatments

Published

on

WHO Approves 2 New COVID-19 Treatments

The World Health Organisation (WHO) has approved two new COVID-19 treatments, which are added to the growing arsenal of tools along with vaccines to stave off severe illness and death from the infectious disease.

In their recommendation in British Medical Journal (BMJ), WHO experts said arthritis drug baricitinib used with corticosteroids to treat severe or critical COVID-19 patients led to better survival rates and reduced need for ventilators.

Experts also recommended synthetic antibody treatment Sotrovimab for people with non-serious COVID-19 at the highest risk of hospitalisation, such as the elderly, people with immunodeficiencies, or chronic diseases such as diabetes.

Sotrovimab’s benefits for people not at risk of hospitalisation were deemed insignificant and the WHO said its effectiveness against new variants like Omicron was “still uncertain”.

The news comes as Omicron cases fill hospitals around the world with the WHO predicting half of Europe will be infected by March.

Continue Reading

Trending