Connect with us

General News

School Principal Stabbed To Death

Published

on

School Principal Stabbed To Death

A 42-year-old headmaster, Babagana Ahmed has been stabbed to death by hoodlums at his house in Maiduguri, the Borno State capital.

It was gathered that the incident happened in the early hours of Monday.

The late headteacher was said to have been transferred to the Asheik Jarma Mega Primary School about seven weeks ago.

According to sources, the victim, upon resumption in the school, embarked on reforms of some operational policies.

A teacher and friend of the late headmaster, who identified himself only as Abdullaziz, said the reforms included the disengagement of the civilian joint task force deployed as security men in the school.

He said, “When he got to the school, he discovered that there were issues pertaining to theft of school property, such as fans, ACs, and other important learning equipment, which were being removed and sold. Yet, there was security personnel stationed in the school. So, he organised a management meeting to discuss the way forward and at the meeting, it was agreed that the civilian JTF should be relieved. The management hired Fulani men in their place, but it (the decision) did not go down well with the JTF volunteers.”

A family member, Ali, who spoke to PUNCH Metro, said the hoodlums on two occasions visited the victim and warned him to “stay away from them or else they would kill him.”

“They met his wife when they came last week and she relayed the message to her husband, who reported the threat to the divisional police headquarters in Gomari Airport on Friday,” he added.

According to a resident, Ali Usman, the assailants rode a motorcycle to the victim’s house on Monday and broke into his room while he was fast asleep.

He said, “I was wondering who was riding a motorcycle at such an ungodly hour especially when I knew there was a curfew and a ban on the use of motorcycles in the state. The noise turned to shout; I woke up my wives and together we went to the house of Babagana to find him in a pool of blood.

“One of my wives collected the small baby from his crying wife and we rushed him to a specialist hospital, where he was confirmed dead by a doctor. The incident happened around 2.45am; I checked my watch to confirm the time.”

He said he suspected that the hoodlums scaled the fence to enter the building.

“His wife gave birth to a baby boy exactly one month today (Monday) aside from the three children they had. His first child is 10 years old. He has been buried according to Islamic rites,” Usman added.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Daily Headline News (Monday, 6-12-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

General News

Omicron Virus: ‘No Traveller Would Be Restricted From Visiting Nigeria’

Published

on

Omicron Virus: 'No Traveller Would Be Restricted From Visiting Nigeria'

The Federal Government has ruled out the possibility of restricting foreign travellers from visiting Nigeria despite travel bans on the country by Canada, the United Kingdom, Indonesia, Singapore, and Hong Kong.

This is just as the government stated that most of the in-bound passengers that tested positive for COVID-19 were from the UK.

The Minister of Health, Dr. Osagie Ehanire, said this on Channels Television’s Politics Today’ programme, which was monitored by Newsrand.

Ehanire described as unfortunate the knee-jerk reaction of some countries to the Omicron strain. He noted that even the World Health Organisation had said recently that countries should focus more on collaboration rather than shutting borders.

At the moment we have no plans restricting anybody coming from another country,” he said.

WHO had two weeks ago designated the omicron variant as a variant of concern.The NCDC had last week announced that the country had reported three cases of the variant. Before this, the Canadian government had announced that it found two individuals with the variant who had travel history to Nigeria.

The UK on Saturday, December 3, 2021, also announced that it found 21 cases of the omicron variant which were linked to Nigeria. It announced that it would, from Monday (today), restrict all flights emanating from Nigeria.

It also suspended all pending visa applications in Nigeria due to the ban on flights from Nigeria due to the Omicron variant.

In a statement on Sunday, the commission said, “To support the UK Government’s aim to protect public health from COVID-19 and associated variants of concern, UK Visas and Immigration will pause making decisions on visitor visa applications in all red list countries, including Nigeria, until travel restrictions are lifted.

If you apply for a visit visa in a red list country and you meet the UK Immigration Rules, your application will be paused. You will not receive a decision on your visit visa application whilst red list travel restrictions remain in place. You will not be able to request a refund of your visa fee once you have given your biometrics at a Visa Application Centre. If you already hold a valid visit visa and are intending to travel to England as a visitor from a red list country, you will not be allowed to enter.

The UK said there are only very limited exemptions to travel and entry requirements for critical workers and medical and compassionate cases.

But the minister said the Omicron strain could not yet be declared as a deadly strain because no deaths had so far been recorded across the world.

“We are watching what the science community is saying and of course not rushing to judgment and we are also not applauding any lockdowns or any prohibitions or banning of flights or movement of people until we know more.

We believe that the harm it will do to livelihoods and economies may be more that the perceived value that will be derived from shutting movement between countries. I believe countries should come together to take a common approach and that includes the UK and other countries contemplating a red list,” Ehanire added.

Continue Reading

General News

Buhari Becomes President Of Pan African Great Green Wall

Published

on

Buhari Becomes President Of Pan African Great Green Wall

President Muhammadu Buhari has taken over the Presidency of the Pan African Great Green Wall (PAGGW) in Africa, Chief Sharon Ikeazor, the Minister of State for Environment, announced on Sunday in Abuja.

A statement issued by Mr. Sagir el Mohammed, Director, Press of the Ministry said Nigeria took over at the end of the 4th Ordinary Session of the Conference of Heads of State and Government of PAGGW held on Dec. 2 in Abuja.

According to the minister, “At the end of the 4th Ordinary Session of the CHSG, Nigeria took over the Presidency of the PAGGW.

READ ALSO: Osinbajo Task Nigerians On Unity

“So for the next two years, Nigeria and President Buhari will be the president of the Great Green Wall Initiative in Africa.

“This means that within the period, Nigeria will work assiduously towards addressing the problems of land degradation, food security, desertification, climate change, depletion of the forest ecosystems, and biodiversity in Africa, among others.

“With the unparalleled commitment of Mr. President in addressing issues of climate change and desertification, coupled with the immense respect he commands within the international community, a lot would be achieved during his tenure,” she said.

Ikeazor recalled the commitment of the president at the Climate Change Summit (COP26) held in November in Glasgow, Scotland.

She said the president expressed optimism about Africa’s ambition to restore over 100 million hectares of the degraded landscape for productive agriculture.

“It is instructive to note that in his acceptance speech, the President stated: “All things being equal, we shall strengthen our efforts in the mobilization of resources for the accelerated accomplishment of the Decennial Priority Investment Plan (DPIP) 2021-2030 and its concrete implementation action.

“The realization of financial pledges that emerged as an outcome of the “One Planet Summit” held on Jan. 11th, 2021 in Paris, France would be given utmost priority.

“I want to assure that the restoration of Africa’s degraded ecosystems and ensuring the resilience of our people against climate change effects shall be strengthened.

Continue Reading

Trending