Connect with us

State News

Covid-19: Wike to Reinstate Lockdown in Rivers State

Published

on

Covid-19: Wike to Reinstate Lockdown in Rivers State

Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers on Monday threatened to re-impose the suspended COVID-19 lockdown measures if residents fail to comply with COVID-19 protocols.

Wike said this in a broadcast in Port Harcourt.

He said that daily figures released from the National Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) showed that both the transmission and death rates in the past two weeks had consistently been on the increase due to non-compliance by the residents.

READ ALSO: Pantami’s Link With Terrorism: Buhari Is Not A Serious President -Wike

He said that it remained the desire of the state government to keep the state open and allow citizens to go about their social, religious, and economic activities unimpeded

He, however,  warned that the government might be compelled to impose a lockdown if the residents continued to disregard the protocols.

“We may be constrained to re-impose the suspended COVID-19 lockdown measures across the state if the transmission of the disease continues to increase beyond tolerable limits,” he stated.

He observed that the state might face a serious health disaster of profound consequences if residents and visitors continued to behave as if the pandemic no longer existed or was impotent in Rivers.

“Accordingly, I wish to remind residents of the subsisting protocols on regular washing of hands and use of alcohol-based sanitizer; maintaining social distancing; wearing of face masks at all public places.

He included transport vehicles and “going for immediate testing and treatment whenever you notice any of the symptoms”.

The Governor appealed to all residents to protect themselves and their loved ones by taking the vaccine at the designated health centers in the 23 Local Government Areas of the State as they become available.

He said that it had been proved that vaccinations were saving lives across the world.

“Those refusing to take the vaccines for no certified medical reasons should know that they are endangering the rest of the citizens.

“I also appeal to religious leaders and churches to convince and encourage their followers to please go out and take the vaccines and comply with the covid-19 protocols,” he appealed.

Wike also reiterated that the ongoing demolition of shanties was borne out of the compelling need to safeguard lives and property across the State.

According to him, the objective, which is gradually being achieved, is to deny criminals such places that they have used as sanctuaries and hideouts to embark on their criminal activities.

“We, therefore, refuse to be blackmailed by those unpatriotic elements who are trying to stir false ethnic, religious, or tribal sentiments around our patriotic commitment to advance the safety and security of residents.

“We refuse to be intimidated by such baseless pranks, rather, we will not rest until we clear the State of all shanties wherever they are located, restore sanity to our environment; achieve a better sense of comfort and security for everyone,” Wike added. 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

State News

N214.2bn 2022 Budget: Obaseki Under Fire For Duplicating Projects

Published

on

N214.2bn 2022 Budget: Obaseki Under Fire For Duplicating Projects

The Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has condemned the 2022 budget proposal of Governor Godwin Obaseki which he submitted to the 10-man state House of Assembly last Wednesday.

According to the APC, Obaseki duplicated projects to siphon state funds.

A statement by the Assistant State Publicity of the party, Victor Ofure Osehobo, has it that the budget proposal by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led government in the state was unrealistic.

Obaseki had submitted a budget proposal of N214.2 billion, which he tagged “Budget of Renewal, Hope and Growth”

The statement noted that Obaseki last year said his government had closed a N25 billion 5-year bond at a record price of nine percent to fund the 2021 budget but did not mention the current status of the N25 billion bond.

He said, “On a closer look, the 2022 Obaseki budget proposal, is completely unrealistic and embellished with impractical predictions, a development that confirms fears by many Edo people that this administration is obviously still trying unsuccessfully to lay a foundation for governance as Obaseki himself declared, 5 years on!

The proposal again illustrates that Governor Obaseki has perfected the art of wasting Edo State’s funds on frivolities; how does he explain the allocation of N21 billion for government buildings and another N15 billion to enhance the work environment.

As expected, the Obaseki 2022 estimates are padded and this can be deduced from such spurious allocations as providing social and youth development, N5billion; technology enhancement, N7.6 billion; effective fiscal and business-friendly regulatory policies, N4.5 billion.

The proposal includes water, which is non-existent and which the government has never attempted to provide anywhere in the state, for N1.2billion. This is as ridiculous as the provision of N1.5 billion for citizen re-orientation and social protection, and N9.2 billion for public safety and security, which are suspicious and questionable, and call for answers.

The party claimed that the education sector was worse hit with the governor’s position that children in primary schools in Nigeria now learn three times more than they used to learn with the old pedagogue and that the state has the least number of out-of-school in the country. He alleged that the governor had no plan of repaying the several loans and bonds.

The Obaseki-led PDP Government certainly is trying to use its ‘bogus’ MEGA programme and “phantom” technology cum public and civil service reforms and the creation of an investor-friendly environment in the state as cover and conduit to take loans and cancel repayments,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

State News

Zainab Kolawole: Wife Of Kogi State Speaker Dies

Published

on

Zainab Kolawole: Wife Of Kogi State Speaker Dies

The wife of the Speaker of Kogi House of Assembly, Mrs. Esther Zainab Kolawole, is dead.

This is contained in a statement signed by Mr. Femi Olugbemi, Chief Press Secretary to the speaker, Assemblyman Matthew Kolawole.

READ ALSO: Dowen College: Odumosu Orders Probe Of Sylvester’s Death

He said the deceased died in the early hours of Sunday in a Lagos state hospital.

The statement stated that Olugbemi Mrs. Kolawole was 50-years and died after a brief illness.

According to him, the burial arrangements will be announced later.

He said she is survived by her husband, children, siblings, and an aged mother.

Continue Reading

State News

Lagos Govt. Releases Online Version Of Panel Report

Published

on

Lagos Govt. Releases Online Version Of Panel Reports

The Lagos State Government says it has released the online version of the reports of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry which probed the EndSARS incident at the Lekki Toll Gate.

The Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo, said in a statement on Sunday that the reports were submitted to Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Nov. 15 by the panel.

READ ALSO: Falana: Sanwo-Olu’s Attempt To Review #EndSARS Panel’s Findings Is Illegal

Onigbanjo, who is also the Attorney-General of Lagos State, said that the reports are entitled ”Report of Lekki Incident Investigation on 20th October 2021” and ”Consolidated Report on General Police Brutality”.

He said that both reports were now available to the public.

“Members of the public can view and download the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the documents on the website of the Lagos State Ministry of Justice – https://lagosstatemoj.org/official-documents/

“Further inquiries should be directed to the Office of the Hon. Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice through info@lagosstatemoj.org.,” Onigbanjo said.

Continue Reading

Trending