Connect with us

General News

Sunday Igboho: DSS Releases 2 More Of Activist’s Aides

Published

on

Sunday Igboho: DSS Releases 2 More Of Activist's Aides

The Department of State Services (DSS) has released two more aides of Yoruba Nation agitator, Sunday Igboho, who have been in custody since Thursday, July 1, 2021.

The DSS had during a midnight invasion of Igboho’s Soka house in Ibadan, Oyo State, arrested 12 of the activist’s allies and whisked them away to Abuja, where they had been kept in detention.

After a long dilly-dally, the secret police, in compliance to a court order, first released eight of the 12 detainees on Monday, August 30, 2021, holding onto the remaining four.

Those earlier released were Abideen Shittu, Abdullateef Onaolapo, Ayobami Donald, Olakunle Oluwapelumi, Dikeola Ademola, Bamidele Sunday, Raji Kazeem, and Taiwo Tajudeen.

The additional two freed on Friday are Tajudeen rinloye and Uthman Adelabu.

Those still in detention are Amudat Babatunde (female) and Jamiu Oyetunji.

The detainees’ lawyer, Pelumi Olajengbesi, confirmed their release.

Justice Obiora Egwuatu of the Federal High Court sitting in Abuja had on August 4, 2021, granted bail to the 12 detainees.

They had met their bail conditions, including the provision of 24 sureties, but the DSS lawyer, Idowu Awo, had kicked against the bail granted by Justice Egwuatu to four of them, claiming that they were heavily involved in the alleged offence of arms stockpiling and other criminal activities of their boss, Igboho.

But three Senior Advocates of Nigeria – Femi Falana, Ebun-Olu Adegboruwa, and Ifedayo Adedipe – had said that the DSS was inviting anarchy and lawlessness into the country by not obeying the order for the release of the 12 detainees.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Daily Headline News (Thursday, 28-6-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

General News

e-Naira: CBN Alerts Public Of Fraudsters On Social Media

Published

on

e-Naira: CBN Alerts Public Of Fraudsters On Social Media

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has advised Nigerians to be wary of fraudsters who have been posting fraudulent messages relating to the e-Naira launched recently.

Mr. Osita Nwanisobi, Director, Corporate Communications, said in a statement posted on the bank’s website on Wednesday, that the bank was not disbursing e-Naira currency to citizens as claimed by the fraudsters.

“Following the formal launch of the eNaira on Monday, Oct. 25, the attention of the Central Bank of Nigeria has been drawn to criminal and illegal activities of some individuals and a fraudulent Twitter handle, @enaira_cbdc purported to belong to the Bank.

READ ALSO: We Are Not Aware of Otedola’s Acquisition of Major Stakes-FBN

The impostor handle and fraudulent persons have been posting messages related to the e-Naira with the intent of wooing unsuspecting Nigerians with claims that the Central Bank of Nigeria, among other falsities, is disbursing the sum of 50 Billion e-Naira currency.

“These impostors are bent on defrauding innocent and unsuspecting members of the public through the links attached to their messages for application to obtain eNaira wallets and become beneficiaries of the said 50 billion e-Naira currency.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Central of Nigeria is not the owner of that Twitter handle (@enaira_cbdc) and indeed suspended its presence on Twitter following the Federal Government’s ban. In effect, the Bank is not disbursing e-Naira currency to citizens,’’ Nwanisobi said.

He urged Nigerians to always endeavor to seek clarifications on information about the eNaira either by visiting the e-Naira website: www.enaira.gov.ng or calling the e-Naira contact center on 080069362472 or visiting any CBN Branch nearest to them.

He also advised anyone seeking clarity to visit the digital currency’s current official social media handles: www.facebook.com/myenaira; www.instagram.com/myenaira and www.youtube.com/myenaira.

Nwanisobi urged that suspicious activity by members of the public should be reported to the CBN using helpdesk@enaira.gov.ng or to relevant law enforcement agencies. 

Continue Reading

General News

Corrupt Immigration Officers Removed After Comptroller’s Investigation

Published

on

Corrupt Immigration Officers Removed After Comptroller’s Investigation

Following an undercover investigation by Isa Jere Idris, the acting Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), which uncovered corrupt practises, some officials of the service have been removed from their respective offices.

As reported on Newsrand, Idris ordered the arrest of some NIS corrupt officials after he disguised as a passport applicant on Monday, October 18, 2021.

In a follow-up to the undercover investigation, some officers were removed from their offices, leading to a shakeup in the service.

Amongst those affected was the passport control officer at the Ikoyi passport office under the Lagos State Command of the NIS, Ibrahim Liman, a deputy comptroller of immigration.

Liman’s counterparts at the Ikeja and FESTAC Town passport offices of the NIS, N.J Dashe and Adeola Adesokan respectively, have also been removed from their offices.

While Liman and Adesokan have been transferred to the service headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, Dashe has been transferred to the zone ‘A’ command of the service which covers both Ogun and Lagos states.

A deputy comptroller of immigration service, Abolupe Oladoyin Bewaji, has been appointed as Liman’s replacement while Dashe and Adesokan were replaced by R.L Bukar and S. Umar, both of whom are also deputy comptrollers of immigration.

The new posting is contained in an internal memo.

The memo, signed by the deputy comptroller general of NIS in charge of human resources, A.B Yarima, noted that the new posting is with immediate effect.

“I am directed to convey approval for the following posting with immediate effect,” the memo reads in part, listing eight officers concerned.

Also affected in the new reshuffle include A.I Bambale, who has been moved from zone ‘A’ command to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

Bambale, a comptroller of immigration service, was replaced by Sunday James, who was moved from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja to zone ‘A’ in Lagos.

James is the immediate past spokesperson for the service who was replaced in June by an assistant comptroller of immigration, Amos Okpu.

Continue Reading

Trending