Connect with us

National News

Court To Issue Arrest Warrant On Ex-Minister For Alleged N5Bn Fraud

Published

on

Court To Issue Arrest Warrant On Ex-Minister For Alleged N5Bn Fraud

A Federal High Court, Abuja, on Monday, threatened to issue a warrant of arrest against former Aviation Minister, Stella Oduah if she failed to appear in court by the next adjourned date.

Justice Inyang Ekwo gave the warning after Dr. Hassan Liman, counsel to the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) in the alleged N5 billion trial against Oduah and eight others told the court that the former minister and one other defendant were not in court to take their plea.

According to reports, the court had earlier fixed Feb. 9 for the arraignment of the former minister and eight others.

READ ALSO: Presidency To Police: Publish Names Of Herdsmen Facing Trial

But due to the fact that Oduah, who currently represents Anambra North Senatorial District at the National Assembly, was not served with the court processes then, the arraignment could not go on.

The court also fixed April 19 for the arraignment but due to the strike by the Judiciary Staff Union of Nigeria (JUSUN), the matter could not hold.

The lawmaker is facing a fraud charge alongside others in a suit with the number: FHC/ABJ/CR/316/20.

The anti-corruption agency is alleging that Oduah misappropriated public funds to the tune of N5 billion while serving as Minister of Aviation.

When the matter was called, Liman, who informed that the case was scheduled for arraignment, said the anti-corruption agency had carried out the court order made on Feb. 9.

“On Feb. 22, 2020, my lord made an order of substituted service on the 5th and 6th defendants in the trial. 

“We have carried out the order my lord,” he said. 

Justice Ekwo, however, said that since the court did not sit on the last adjourned date, today’s proceeding should be for a report on the development and another date would be fixed for arraignment.

“How many witnesses are you calling,” the judge asked.

Liman, who said the EFCC would be calling at least 32 witnesses in the trial, said while some of the witnesses were within the court jurisdiction, others were not.

He added that the agency would produce two witnesses on the first day of trial commencement.

The lawyer called the court’s attention to the fact that Oduah, who is the 1st defendant, and another defendant listed as 4th in the trial were not in court.

“I will fix another date for arraignment and if they like, let them not come,” Ekwo said.

The judge, who told the prosecution lawyer to put his house in order, said “once the plea is taken, I am proceeding with the trial.”

Ekwo, therefore, warned that any defendant who was not in court on the next adjourned date would be issued with an arrest warrant.

“Apart from the 2nd and 3rd defendants, the order defendants are absent today. This is a note of warning that anyone who is absent will be issued with a warrant of arrest,” he ruled.

He adjourned the matter until Oct. 19 for arraignment and trial.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.

National News

IGP Applauds Officer Who Rejected $200,000 Bribe

Published

on

IGP Applauds Officer Who Rejected $200,000 Bribe

The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba has commended SP Daniel Itse Amah, who turned down $200,000 bribe from apprehended armed robbers.

Baba disclosed this in a Wednesday Press Release by the Law Enforcement agency, also applauding two others for distinguishing themselves among many.

“The Inspector-General of Police, IGP Usman Alkali Baba, psc(+), NPM, fdc, in line with his mandate to apply the carrot and stick approach to personnel conduct, has commended three officers from across the nation who have been exemplary in their line of duty. The Press Release read.

“The IGP has similarly directed the issuance of commendation certificates to the officers for distinguishing themselves despite the many challenges of policing the nation effectively.

READ ALSO: Insecurity: Buhari Appoints Rtd. Rear Admiral As Head Of NCTC

According to the force, SP Daniel who is the Divisional Police Officer in charge of Nasarawa Division in Kano State was the officer in charge that led to the arrest of the group of Armed Robbers.

The Robbers tried to offer a $200,000 bribe in exchange for freedom but was turned down by the upright officer.

In the same light, Police Constable Nura Mande attached to the Katsina State Police Command returned an envelope containing $800 belonging to an old woman, at the Hajj Camp in the state.

Also, Inspector Ekene Ndukwu of the Imo State Police Command successfully laid ambush and neutralized two members of a bandit gang who stormed his house in the early hours of August 4th, 2022

Speaking to other members of his force, Baba asked and charged them to emulate the noble conduct of the three exemplary members.

The IGP requested that the upright officers continue in their good conduct, integrity, bravery, and gallantry in the discharge of their policing responsibilities.

Continue Reading

National News

Insecurity: Buhari Appoints Rtd. Rear Admiral As Head Of NCTC

Published

on

Insecurity: Buhari Appoints Rtd. Real Admiral As Head Of NCTC

President Muhammadu Buhari has appointed retired Rear Admiral, Yaminu Ehinomen Musa, as the head of the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC).

The presidency made this publicly known in a State House Press Release, tasking the retired Naval officer with handling the country’s counter-terrorism

“President Muhammadu Buhari has approved the appointment of Rear Admiral Yaminu Ehinomen Musa (retired) as the pioneer Coordinator of the National Counter Terrorism Centre (NCTC). The Presidency wrote.

Assigned with systemizing all counter-terrorism and terrorism financing efforts in the country, the center was established in the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA).

READ ALSO: EFCC Hands Over 8 Ballistic Jacket, Other Recovered Accoutrement To The Military

In addition, the NCTC also harmonizes counter-terrorism policies, strategies, plans, and support in the performance of the functions of the National Security Adviser (NSA), as provided in the Terrorism (Prevention and Prohibition) Act 2022.

“Before his appointment, Rear Admiral Musa had been the Director of the Counter Terrorism Directorate in the ONSA since 2017. The Press release disclosed.

“He was responsible for the review of the National Counter Terrorism Strategy (NACTEST), and the creation of the Policy Framework and National Action Plan for Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE), which  President Buhari signed into law in 2016 and 2017 respectively.

“Additionally, the retired senior Naval Officer served as the Nigerian representative at the Global Counterterrorism Forum (GCTF) for the last 3 years.”

Yaminu Ehinomen Musa’s appointment is to take effect immediately and to run for an initial term of 5 years.

Continue Reading

National News

EFCC Hands Over 8 Ballistic Jacket, Other Recovered Accoutrement To The Military

Published

on

EFCC Hands Over 8 Ballistic Jacket, Other Recovered Accoutrement To The Military

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has handed over to the Nigerian Military recovered equipment and accoutrement.

The items which include; 7 ballistic jackets with plates, 1 ballistic jacket without plate, 3 flotation jackets, 5 pieces of plates and 6 pieces of helmets, 9 pieces of camouflage T-shirts, and 30 sacks containing web equipment were received by Col. AT Bitiyong on behalf of the Commander, Defence Headquarters Garrison, as disclosed by the law enforcement.

The handing over was done at a brief ceremony at the Commission’s Zonal Command in Wuse 2, Abuja.

READ ALSO: Wike Alleges Gang-up Against Him In Rivers

Assistant Commander of the EFCC, ACE II Michael Wetkas, who stood in for the Executive Chairman, Abdulrasheed Bawa, revealed that the accoutrement was intercepted from a supplier of military equipment.

“The items were recovered from a contractor who supplies military equipment and was voluntarily handed over to the Commission in the course of an investigation.

“It is important to hand over the equipment directly to the military to prevent them from getting into the wrong hands.

The ceremony was witnessed by the Abuja Zonal Commander, ACE II Adeniyi Adebayo, Head Special Investigation, ACE II Goji Mohammed, CSE Junaid M. Sa’id, and the Commission’s Exhibit Keeper. CSE Salawu Abdulrazaq.

Continue Reading

Trending