Connect with us

State News

Rivers State Governor Relaxes Curfew In The State

Published

on

Wike Describes Invasion Of Justice Odili’s House As Assassination Attempt
Gov. Nyesom Wike, Rivers State

Gov. Nyesom Wike of Rivers has announced the relaxation of the existing curfew on the entire state beginning from Wednesday, July 7.

The governor stated this in a state broadcast on Tuesday in Port Harcourt, saying that the government acknowledged the negative impacts of the curfew on businesses and the social life of residents.

He explained that the review of the curfew was also a sequel to the considerable improvement in the security situation of the state as well as other neighboring states.

READ ALSO: Police Ban Protests In Lagos

Wike said the government’s primary reason for imposing the curfew was to protect lives and property rather than make life difficult for residents.

The Rivers State Governor thanked the residents of Port Harcourt for their understanding and cooperation throughout the duration of the curfew.

He urged the public to remain security conscious and report any suspicious situation to the security agencies for immediate action.

“On our part, we will not fail to deploy every resource at our disposal to ensure the safety of lives and property while advancing the wellbeing of all residents.

“This is the very reason we are clearing the state of shanties that have become veritable sanctuaries for criminals and negative activities across the state.

“Clearly, our actions in this direction are not directed or targeted at any particular person, identity, or group,” he said.

According to reports, the state government had in response to the security breaches imposed a night-time curfew on the state land borders with other states on April 27.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

State News

N214.2bn 2022 Budget: Obaseki Under Fire For Duplicating Projects

Published

on

N214.2bn 2022 Budget: Obaseki Under Fire For Duplicating Projects

The Edo State chapter of the All Progressives Congress (APC), has condemned the 2022 budget proposal of Governor Godwin Obaseki which he submitted to the 10-man state House of Assembly last Wednesday.

According to the APC, Obaseki duplicated projects to siphon state funds.

A statement by the Assistant State Publicity of the party, Victor Ofure Osehobo, has it that the budget proposal by the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)-led government in the state was unrealistic.

Obaseki had submitted a budget proposal of N214.2 billion, which he tagged “Budget of Renewal, Hope and Growth”

The statement noted that Obaseki last year said his government had closed a N25 billion 5-year bond at a record price of nine percent to fund the 2021 budget but did not mention the current status of the N25 billion bond.

He said, “On a closer look, the 2022 Obaseki budget proposal, is completely unrealistic and embellished with impractical predictions, a development that confirms fears by many Edo people that this administration is obviously still trying unsuccessfully to lay a foundation for governance as Obaseki himself declared, 5 years on!

The proposal again illustrates that Governor Obaseki has perfected the art of wasting Edo State’s funds on frivolities; how does he explain the allocation of N21 billion for government buildings and another N15 billion to enhance the work environment.

As expected, the Obaseki 2022 estimates are padded and this can be deduced from such spurious allocations as providing social and youth development, N5billion; technology enhancement, N7.6 billion; effective fiscal and business-friendly regulatory policies, N4.5 billion.

The proposal includes water, which is non-existent and which the government has never attempted to provide anywhere in the state, for N1.2billion. This is as ridiculous as the provision of N1.5 billion for citizen re-orientation and social protection, and N9.2 billion for public safety and security, which are suspicious and questionable, and call for answers.

The party claimed that the education sector was worse hit with the governor’s position that children in primary schools in Nigeria now learn three times more than they used to learn with the old pedagogue and that the state has the least number of out-of-school in the country. He alleged that the governor had no plan of repaying the several loans and bonds.

The Obaseki-led PDP Government certainly is trying to use its ‘bogus’ MEGA programme and “phantom” technology cum public and civil service reforms and the creation of an investor-friendly environment in the state as cover and conduit to take loans and cancel repayments,” the statement added.

Continue Reading

State News

Zainab Kolawole: Wife Of Kogi State Speaker Dies

Published

on

Zainab Kolawole: Wife Of Kogi State Speaker Dies

The wife of the Speaker of Kogi House of Assembly, Mrs. Esther Zainab Kolawole, is dead.

This is contained in a statement signed by Mr. Femi Olugbemi, Chief Press Secretary to the speaker, Assemblyman Matthew Kolawole.

READ ALSO: Dowen College: Odumosu Orders Probe Of Sylvester’s Death

He said the deceased died in the early hours of Sunday in a Lagos state hospital.

The statement stated that Olugbemi Mrs. Kolawole was 50-years and died after a brief illness.

According to him, the burial arrangements will be announced later.

He said she is survived by her husband, children, siblings, and an aged mother.

Continue Reading

State News

Lagos Govt. Releases Online Version Of Panel Report

Published

on

Lagos Govt. Releases Online Version Of Panel Reports

The Lagos State Government says it has released the online version of the reports of the Judicial Panel of Inquiry which probed the EndSARS incident at the Lekki Toll Gate.

The Commissioner for Justice, Mr. Moyosore Onigbanjo, said in a statement on Sunday that the reports were submitted to Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu on Nov. 15 by the panel.

READ ALSO: Falana: Sanwo-Olu’s Attempt To Review #EndSARS Panel’s Findings Is Illegal

Onigbanjo, who is also the Attorney-General of Lagos State, said that the reports are entitled ”Report of Lekki Incident Investigation on 20th October 2021” and ”Consolidated Report on General Police Brutality”.

He said that both reports were now available to the public.

“Members of the public can view and download the Certified True Copy (CTC) of the documents on the website of the Lagos State Ministry of Justice – https://lagosstatemoj.org/official-documents/

“Further inquiries should be directed to the Office of the Hon. Attorney-General and Commissioner for Justice through info@lagosstatemoj.org.,” Onigbanjo said.

Continue Reading

Trending