Connect with us

General News

Reuben Abati: Buhari In Charge Of Nigeria

Published

on

Reuben Abati: Buhari In Charge Of Nigeria

Reuben Abati, the former spokesman to ex-President Goodluck Jonathan, has said it is evident that President Muhammadu Buhari is in charge of the country.

Abati was commenting on Buhari’s interview with ARISE TV last week Thursday.

Several critics including Wole Soyinka, Nobel laureate, and Aminu Tambuwal, governor of Sokoto state, had claimed that Nigeria is being run through proxies and that Buhari is not in charge of the nation’s affairs.

Some others have alleged that the president’s spokespersons have been airing their opinions and not those of their principal.

But Abati, who was among the team that spoke to the president, said the interview proved that Buhari is in the know of things in the country.

He said the president is in charge and “showed no hesitation in restating some of his reported views and taking ownership of them despite the controversial nature of those views”.

“His submission to a media conversation is also a form of protection for his spokespersons. Many have accused Garba Shehu, Femi Adesina and Alhaji Lai Mohammed of speaking for themselves, and not for the President, but we have all seen a President, speaking for himself, whose views do not contradict what his aides have been telling us,” Abati said in an opinion piece.

“Our interview with him also proved the point that there is no doubting the fact that President Muhammadu Buhari is effectively in charge. He knows what is going on. And he showed no hesitation in restating some of his reported views and taking ownership of them despite the controversial nature of those views.”

Abati said the Buhari interview “has further revealed how divided we are as a nation”.

He urged the president to address Nigerians more often.

“Whoever advised President Buhari to grant media interviews last week and also address the nation on Saturday, June 12, did him a big favour. The intensity of media appearance was a good move, even if it came rather late,” he said.

Advertisement
“Every President has his or her own style but deliberately playing possum should not be part of that style. President Buhari should speak more often to Nigerians. He should sit down at Presidential media chats.

“Nigeria is not a feudal system where the aristocrat treats the people with disdain. In a democracy, the man of power is accountable to the people who expect their leaders to continually justify why they must be in power and office.”

General News

Why Benin Republic Still Have Sunday Igboho In Custody -Falana

Published

on

Why Benin Republic Still Have Sunday Igboho In Custody -Falana

Human rights lawyer, Femi Falana (SAN) has revealed that Benin Republic insisted on allowing rule of law to determine the fate of Yoruba Nation activist, Sunday Igboho, who’s facing trial in the country.

Igboho, who had since been placed in detention in Benin Republic, was arrested in Cotonou while attempting to flee to Germany alongside his wife, Ropo.

The charges against the Yoruba Nation activist border on arms smuggling, inciting violence, and calling for a secession of the Yoruba from Nigeria.

Speaking on the matter, Falana revealed that Tukur Buratai, Nigeria’s ambassador to Benin Republic, requested the release of Igboho to him, but his request was declined.

According to Falana, Buratai was told that only the court would determine if Igboho would be released to the Nigerian government or not.

His words: “In the case of Sunday Igboho, again despite my disagreement with him, I came out to say you cannot just throw him into a waiting plane as we were told, it was attempted.

“You have to go to court. You have to make a request under international law, under the ECOWAS convention on extradition.

“The government of Nigeria is requested to submit an extradition request to the government of Benin Republic and so when the plenipotentiary, General Yusuf Buratai (retired), who at that time had not submitted his letters of credence asked that Igboho be handed over to him.

“He was told, ‘sorry, we operate the rule of law here’. That is why that matter is still in court.”

Continue Reading

General News

Hushpuppi: Fani-Kayode Throws Weight Behind Abba Kyari

Published

on

Hushpuppi: Fani-Kayode Throws Weight Behind Abba Kyari

Former aviation minister, Femi Fani-Kayode has thrown his weight behind Abba Kyari, a Police Commissioner, whom infamous cybercriminal Hushpuppi, alleged that he paid bribes to, from the proceeds of a $1.1 million scam deal.

Reacting to the allegation, Fani-Kayode said that there is a deep conspiracy against Kyari, describing the allegations as crazy.

The former minister’s statement read: “A super cop that has risked his life protecting us from kidnappers, murderers & terrorists all these years& that has arrested more criminals than any other is accused of taking bribes from a yahoo boy & scammer all the way from America & we are expected to believe it? Not me!

“Abba is one of the bravest, brightest and best cops in Nigeria and I will not believe these crazy allegations levelled against him or condemn him unless I see any evidence to the contrary.

“He has proved himself over and over again when it comes to catching criminals and I do not believe that he is one himself. If he were he would not have such an excellent record in combating crime.

“Nigerians seem to take delight in believing and assuming the worse about their best. That is part of our problem: we love and celebrate the evil but we despise, hate and seek to pull down the righteous and good. As far as I am concerned there are as many crooked, bent & killer cops all over the world as there are good ones & America has its fair share of both. The only people that ought to take pleasure in reading this crap about Abba are the kidnappers and terrorists in our country.

“Allegations are a dime a dozen and an indictment does not amount to a conviction: show me the evidence or keep your mouth shut forever. I urge Abba to continue the good work he has been doing and not allow himself to be distracted by his numerous detractors.

“This is a deep conspiracy to destroy his career and it will not work.”

Continue Reading

General News

REVEALED: Why Hushpuppi’s Wire Fraud, Other Charges May Be Dismissed

Published

on

REVEALED: Why Hushpuppi's Wire Fraud, Other Charges May Be Dismissed

Some charges levelled against infamous cybercriminal, Hushpuppi, may be dismissed. This is according to the United States Attorney’s Office (USAO) for Central District of California, who made this known in a mail chat with Newsrand.

The charges, which are likely to be dropped, are -wire fraud, conspiracy to engage in money laundering, aggravated identity theft, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, mail fraud, and bank fraud.

Newsrand understands that federal authorities in the United States, have been probing Hushpuppi since his arrest last year (2020).

Arrested in Dubai, the United Arab Emirate (UAE), and subsequently extradited to the United States (U.S.), where most of the victims of his alleged fraudulent activities are based, Hushpuppi has spent the last one year in custody maintaining his innocence.

However, Hushpuppi is now exploring a plea bargain agreement with the U.S. government in the hope of getting a lighter punishment.

When asked on what ground would the charges be dismissed, the USAO explained that if only the fraud suspect abides by his plea agreement.

Published court documents revealed that Hushpuppi pleaded guilty to this crime on April 20, 2021, and according to his plea agreement with the USAO, prosecutors have “agreed to not further criminally prosecute defendant for conspiracy to engage in money laundering, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, mail fraud, and bank fraud, wire fraud; bank fraud, money laundering; engaging in monetary transactions in property derived from specified unlawful activity); aggravated identity theft.”

Spokesperson of the U.S. Attorney’s Office for the Central District of California, Thom Mrozek, however, explained that “those charges are technically still pending.”

“If Abbas abides by the terms of his plea agreement, we have agreed to dismiss those additional charges that are contained in the information when the case concludes, which would be after his sentencing,” he clarified.

Continue Reading

Trending