Connect with us

State News

Immigration Office Set Ablaze By Gunmen In Abia State

Published

on

Immigration Office Set Ablaze By Gunmen In Abia State

Unknown gunmen have attacked the Abia Command of the Nigeria Immigration Service, setting the office on fire.

The Public Relations Officer of the service, Mr. Godwin Ogbonna, confirmed the incident on Sunday.

Ogbonna, however, said he had yet to get details of the attack on the facility, situated at the Ubakala axis of the Enugu-Port Harcourt Expressway.

READ ALSO: Pandemonium As Fire Breaks Out At Immigration Service

“It probably happened Saturday night. I do not have details about the incident, the time it happened, and the extent of the damage yet but no casualty was recorded.

“I tried to go to the office from my house on Bende Road, Umuahia today (Sunday) but the whole road was blocked so I went back home.

“I hope I would be able to find my way to the office Monday to see things for myself and ascertain what was damaged,” Ogbonna said.

According to reports, unidentified gunmen have sustained attacks on Federal Government’s facilities in Abia in the last month, killed some operatives, and left many with gunshot injuries.

The list of the facilities included at least eight police formations and offices of the National Drug Law Enforcement Agency and Independent National Electoral Commission.

Meanwhile, palpable fear and tension now pervade the state, especially Umuahia, ahead of Monday’s sit-at-home order by the proscribed Indigenous People of Biafra.

State News

Sanwo-Olu Gives N10m Each To Bereaved Families Of Late Officers

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu Gives N10Mn Each To Bereaved Families Of Late Officers

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state has honored three policemen who died in the course of their duties in the state with N30 million.

Sanwo-Olu, represented by his Chief of Staff, Mr. Tayo Ayinde, presented three individual beneficiary cheques of N10 million each to the bereaved families at the Government House, Alausa-Ikeja.

This is contained in a statement issued on Wednesday by the Media Director, Rapid Respond Squad [RRS], Mr. Taofiq Adebayo.

READ ALSO: Grieving Family Seeks Prosecution Of Ex-SARS Commander

The three beneficiary families include late Insp. Ajibola Gafari, PC Olufemi Richards of the RRS, and ASP Omisore Olamide of Lagos State Task Force on Environmental and Special Offences (Enforcement Unit).

The governor,  who empathized with the affected families, described the monetary support as a token and the government’s effort at comforting affected families.

He pointed out that no amount of financial gift could make up for the lost lives and the gallantry of the fallen Patriots.

He appreciated the gallantry of the deceased operatives, reassuring the families and Lagos residents of the government’s commitment to always work for the good and well-being of the masses.

A son of one of the deceased, Mr. Olufemi Odeniyi, who spoke on behalf of the three families, expressed appreciation to Governor Sanwo-Olu for the money, describing it as a lifeline.

Continue Reading

State News

Ex-Nasarawa State Gov, Wife, Arrested For Alleged Corruption

Published

on

Ex-Nasarawa State Gov, Wife, Arrested For Alleged Corruption
Tanko Al-Makura

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has invited former Governor of Nasarawa State and serving senator, Tanko Al-Makura, and his wife, Mairo, over alleged corruption.

A source at the commission disclosed this to Newsmen on Wednesday evening.

As of the time of filing this report, the couple was being grilled by operatives of the anti-graft agency at its headquarters in Abuja.

READ ALSO: LAWMA Showers Encomium on Dangote Sinotruk

The source did not give details of the allegation against the ex-governor and his wife.

Spokesperson of EFCC, Mr. Wilson Uwujaren when contacted declined to comment on the couple’s arrest.

Al-Makura was the Governor of Nasarawa State between 2011 and 2019 before he was elected as Senator representing Nasarawa South Senatorial District at the National Assembly.

Continue Reading

Politics

Ondo Guber: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Akeredolu

Published

on

Ondo Guber: Supreme Court Rules In Favor Of Akeredolu
Gov. Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, Ondo State

The Supreme Court on Wednesday in a split judgment of four-to-three upheld the victory of Rotimi Akeredolu of the All Progressives Congress (APC) in the Oct. 10, 2020 governorship election.

In the majority judgment delivered by Justice Emmanuel Agim, four of the seven-member panel dismissed the appeal by Eyitayo Jegede and his party, the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) on the grounds that it was incompetent.

Justice Agim upheld an earlier judgment of the Court of Appeal, that the petition filed by Jegede and his party at the election tribunal was incompetent because they failed to include the Yobe Governor and Chairman of the Caretaker Committee of the APC, Mai Mala-Buni as a party.

READ ALSO: Ondo Guber: Jegede Advances Supreme Court Over Appeal Court Verdict

In the minority judgment read by Justice Mary Peter-Odili, the court upheld the appeal and dismiss the cross-appeal by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), Akeredolu, and the APC.

Odili and two other members of the panel were of the view that since the APC, for which Buni acted, was a party in the case, there was no need to include him as a party.

The main appeal was filed by the candidate of the Peoples’ Democratic Party (PDP) in the last governorship election in Ondo State, Eyitayo Jegede against Akeredolu, challenging the competence of APC’s sponsorship of Akeredolu for the election. 

Jegede approached the electoral petitions tribunal praying that the declaration of Akeredolu as the winner of the election by the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) should be set aside.

He also prayed the apex court to declare him the winner on grounds that the emergence of the APC candidate breached the nation’s constitution.

On July 16, the Court of Appeal led by Justice Theresa Orji-Abadua had dismissed the petition filed by Jegede while affirming Akeredolu as the winner of the poll.

In its verdict, the Appeal Court had out of 7 issues raised for determination resolved four and a half in favor of Jegede and the rest two and a half in favor of Akeredolu.

Not satisfied with the decision of the Appellate Court, both Akeredolu, Jegede, and INEC approached the Supreme Court for the invalidation of both the Election Petition Tribunal and Appeal Court.

Continue Reading

Trending