Connect with us

State News

NCoS Boss Orders Investigation Into Owerri Custodial Centre Attack

Published

on

NCoS Boss Orders Investigation Into Owerri Custodial Centre Attack
Acting Controller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service, NCoS, Mr John Mrabure

The Acting Controller-General, Nigeria Correctional Service (NCoS), Mr John Mrabure, has ordered a comprehensive investigation into the incident that occurred at the Owerri Custodial Centre at the early hours of Monday, April 5, 2021.

The Service Public Relations Officer (SPRO), Mr Francis Enobore, disclosed this in a statement made available to News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) early Tuesday in Abuja.

Mrabure said that the assignment, which would be carried out in collaboration with other security organisations, has commenced with a Search and Recover Operations to recapture the fleeing inmates.

READ ALSO: Inmates Escape As Gunmen Burn Prison And Police Headquarters

NAN reports that the Owerri Custodial Centre in Imo had been attacked by unknown gunmen and forcefully released a total of 1,844 inmates in custody.

The attackers, who stormed the facility at about 02:15hrs on Monday 5th April, 2021, gained entrance into the premises by using explosives to blast the administrative block.

They were said to have arrived the centre in their large number in several Hilux Pick-Up vans and Sienna buses armed with sophisticated weapons and immediately engaged the security personnel on duty in a fierce gun battle.

The invaders eventually detonated explosives to gain entrance.

Mrabure appealed to the good citizens of Imo and indeed Nigerians to volunteer useful information that would facilitate the recapture of the fleeing inmates.

He, however, assured the people that the security of custodial centres across the country remained sacrosanct.

He equally directed all officers attached to custodial facilities to remain vigilant at this trying period of the NCoS.

“As at the last count, six inmates have so far voluntarily returned to the facility while 35 inmates refused to escape from custody during the attack, ” he said.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Health & Wellness

17,000 so Far Receive First Jab of AstraZeneca in Enugu

Published

on

17,000 so Far Receive First Jab of AstraZeneca in Enugu

No fewer than 17,000 residents of Enugu have so far received their first jab of AstraZeneca in the ongoing vaccination in the state.

Dr George Ugwu,  the Executive Secretary of the Enugu State Primary Health Care Development Agency (ENS-PHCDA), made this known to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) in Enugu on Thursday.

Recall that the state government on March 8, received 65,400 doses of the vaccine from the National Primary Health Care Development Agency (NPHCDA), Abuja, and vaccination began across the state on March 19.

READ ALSO: FG To States: Stop COVID-19 Vaccination Halfway, Here’s Why

Ugwu explained that the 17,000 given first jabs of the vaccination represented those vaccinated as at 6p.m. on April 14.

He said the state has not reached half of the total dose received from the NPHCDA, Abuja and the vaccination was ongoing in each of the designated centres.

The delay in administering the vaccines was because five councils started late as well as the long Easter holiday break.

“We are yet to get to half of the 65,400 doses given to the state from the NPHCDA, Abuja.

“The exercise is still very much on for those in the priority lists – health workers and the elderly – to receive their first jabs as well as other members of the public very eager to receive as well.

“Once we exhaust half of the dose sent to us; we will stop giving the first jabs.

“We will have a pause of vaccination for about eight weeks before giving the second jabs to all those that had received their first jabs to complete their dose.

“This is what we have agreed with the NPHCDA, Abuja and our partners.

“So, those who got their first jabs will receive the second jabs in less than three months for continued efficacy of the vaccines in their system,” he said.

READ ALSO: PTF Members, Ministers Receive COVID-19 Vaccines

The executive secretary noted that prior to the Easter break and after it the number of those receiving their first jabs had grown in the council areas.

“With the daily exponential rise in the number of people coming for their first jabs; within a few days we will get to half of the total dose we have and the exercise will be paused.

“However, we are still expecting more doses from the NPHCDA, Abuja to ensure that the entire residents of the state are vaccinated and protected,” he said.

He noted  “the vaccine is safe and efficacious”, adding that there has not been any reported adverse side effects.

The executive secretary lauded Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi for supporting the COVID-19 vaccination campaign.

“Apart from financial and moral assistance to the agency, Gov. Ugwuanyi volunteered himself, to be publicly vaccinated as a critical leader providing direction to residents of the state on the need to receive theirs.

“This has made the residents believe in the efficacy and safety of the vaccine; while responding appropriately to receive their first jabs,’’ he added.

 

Continue Reading

State News

Six Cultist Arrested During Initiation In Anambra – Police

Published

on

Six Cultist Arrested During Initiation In Anambra - Police

The Police Command in Anambra says it has arrested six youths aged between the ages of 17 and 25 years suspected to be cult members.

DSP Toochukwu Ikenga, the Police Public Relations Officer of the command disclosed this in a statement on Tuesday.

He said that the suspects were rounded up around Amikwo village in Awka, the state capital.

READ ALSO: Cult Clash: Police Apprehend 15 Suspects, Restore Normalcy In Ketu

Ikenga said that the suspects were arrested during a ceremony where some youths were being initiated into a cult group.

He said that two locally made pistols and eight live cartridges were recovered from the suspects.

The PPRO said that the suspects had confessed to being members of Black Axe Confraternity and had participated in the shooting incident of April 12, which resulted in the death of an unidentified man in the Ukwuoji area of Awka.

He gave the names of the suspects as Ejinaka Chukwujekwu (17) Emeka Nwanna (18) Michael Ozuah (20) Chukwuma Obu (22) Onyemaechi Chijoke (25) and Ifeanyi Ebeze (25).

According to him, following  credible intelligence at about 12 pm, police operatives attached to the Anti-Cult unit of the command busted the Den of Cultists and Armed robbery gang in Amiwko Village,  Awka, and arrested six suspects

“Exhibits recovered include two locally made pistols and eight live cartridges.

“Preliminary investigations reveal that the suspects are actively involved in the recent shooting incident at about 8:am, April 12,  that resulted in the death of one yet unidentified young man at Ukwuoji, Awka.

“They equally confessed to being members of Black Axe Confraternity and will be charged to court on conclusion of the investigations,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Health & Wellness

Kano Govt. Destroys Expired Products Worth N90m

Published

on

Kano Govt. Destroys Expired Products Worth N90m

The Kano State Primary Health Care Management Board says it has destroyed some expired products worth N90 million at various markets in the state.

This was contained in a statement by the board’s Public Relations Officer,  Maikudi Marafa, on Monday.

It said the Executive Secretary of the Board, Dr Tijjani Husain, represented by the Director, Environmental And Public Health, Alhaji Usman Rabiu, led the team that destroyed the expired products.

According to Husain, the exercise was aimed at protecting public health against hazardous products, especially with the coming of the Ramadan.

The statement further said the exercise was conducted after receiving a court order, directing the destruction of the expired products.

READ ALSO: Kaduna Agency Warns On Use Of Expired Drugs Looted In NAFDAC Store

The Board called on the citizens of the state to be vigilant in order to avoid the use of expired products.

 NEWSRAND gathered that the destroyed expired products included, drugs, baking powder, minerals and other exotics drinks.

It was gathered that the state had intensified vigilance on fake, expired foods and drinks about a month ago. 

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter



Trending

Subscribe to our Newsletter