Connect with us

General News

Abuja Military Plane Crash: Victims To Be Buried

Published

on

Abuja Military Plane Crash: Victims To Be Buried

The seven Nigerian Air Force (NAF) officers who died in the military plane crash that happened on Sunday, February 21, 2021, will be buried at the National Cemetery, Lugbe, Airport Road, Abuja, on Thursday, February 25.

The NAF disclosed this in an invitation to journalists.

The Beechcraft King Air B350i in which they were flying crashed short of the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport, Abuja, after reporting engine failure.

The deceased include the Captain, Fl. Lt. Haruna Gadzama; Fl. Lt. Henry Piyo (Co-Pilot); Flying Officer Micheal Okpara (Airborne Tactical Observation System Specialist); Warrant Officer Bassey Etim (ATOS Specialist); Fl. Sgt. Olasunkanmi Olawunmi (ATOS Specialist); Sgt. Ugochukwu Oluka (ATOS Specialist) and Aircraftman Adewale Johnson (Onboard Technician).

The tragic incident generated an outpouring of grief nationwide while the Chief of Air Staff, Air Vice Marshal Isiaka Amao, ordered an investigation into the mishap.

The CAS said the deceased personnel, had been in Minna, Niger State, for days conducting Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance missions in connection with the efforts to secure the release of the 42 students and staff abducted from the Government Science College Kagara, Niger State.

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

Published

on

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

Homeowners and traders in the Fagba area of Lagos, have reacted to the ongoing demolition of properties and business outlets by the Lagos State Government (LASG).

Newsrand learnt that LASG has started taking steps towards preparing the ground for the construction of a flyover at the Fagba junction in the Ifako /Ijaiye local government area of the state.

Already, demolition of properties along Iju road and other adjoining roads is now ongoing.

The ongoing demolition, according to top government officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity, is to pave way for the new bridge that is being contemplated by the state government.

The sources said the project, which was initiated by former governor Akinwunmi Ambode, will ease the flow of traffic on Iju road and the access to Abule Egba axis, linking the Lagos/Abeokuta road, upon its completion.

Not only that, but the Fagba bridge will also ease the movement of motorists going to Ishaga in Lagos state, as well as Agbado, Alagbole, Akute, Sango, and Oke Aro areas, all in Ogun State.

However, when our correspondent visited the area, he discovered that while landlords were unbothered about the demolition, traders were unhappy about it, as they claimed it has affected their businesses.

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

“Although, our shops have been marked for demolition since last year, we were given a quit notice just three weeks before the demolition. So, I’m seriously not happy about it because it affected me. Now, I had to move my goods away from my store because there is no space for them,” an affected trader lamented.

One Chidinma Eze, a hairdresser, said the demolition didn’t favour her in any way. Her words: “I should be in my shop attending to customers, but that’s not possible anymore, because there is no more shop. So, I can only attend to my clients on the roadside, which is not good.”

A landlord, who didn’t want his name mentioned in this report, said he was compensated for her affected building, likewise every other person whose building has been demolished.

Commenting on the matter, Segun Akinleye, CDA Chairman, Alafia-Tayo Orile Iju, revealed that “those whose structures were touched have received money from the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu government.”

According to him, the houses already marked for demolition, but yet to be touched, was because the property owners were yet to receive compensations.

He, however, heaped praises on the incumbent Lagos government, as he encouraged other state governments to adopt such an approach in developing infrastructures in their states.

Continue Reading

General News

BREAKING: Court Orders Immediate Release Of Shiekh El-Zakzaky, Wife

Published

on

BREAKING: Court Orders Immediate Release Of Shiekh El-Zakzaky, Wife

A Kaduna state high court, on Wednesday, July 28, 2021, ruled in favour of the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Shiekh Ibrahim El-zakzaky, ordering his immediate release from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

According to a statement issued by IMN signed by Ibrahim Musa, its media chief, El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenah, emerged victorious in court after their defence team filed a “no case submission”.

The statement read: “Today, Wednesday, 28/07/2021 the Kaduna State High Court presided by Justice Gideon Kurada delivered a favourable judgement in the “no case submission” filed by the defense lawyers on the case brought against the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky and his wife, Malama Zeenah Ibrahim, who were standing trial for sundry trumped up charges, including that of aiding and abetting culpable homicide punishable by death. With this victory in court today, the false charges filed against them has finally been punctured for good after almost five years of excruciating illegal detention.”

“This judgement has not only vindicated them and all members of the Islamic movement in Nigeria, but it is certainly a victory for perseverance in the face of extreme persecution by the Nigerian government. It is a victory for truth and justice against tyranny and impunity.”

“It will be recalled that the Kaduna state government filed charges against Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife as an afterthought a year and a half after a federal high court in Abuja had ruled that their continued detention was unconstitutional, illegal and a severe breach of their fundamental rights and thereby must be set free and compensated. The government however remained in contempt until they decided to frame these spurious false charges in an attempt to perpetually keep them in their illegal custody.”

“We, therefore, give praises to the Almighty for yet another successful outing.”

Newsrand understands that El-Zakzaky and his wife have been facing trial since 2015 on an eight-count charge bordering on alleged culpable homicide, disruption of the public peace, unlawful assembly among other charges.

Continue Reading

General News

Daily Headline News (Wednesday, 28-7-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

Trending