Connect with us

General News

Ministry, CBN Collaborate To Ensure Provision Of NIN Through BVN

Published

on

Ministry, CBN Collaborate To Ensure Provision Of NIN Through BVN
Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Pantami

The Ministry of Communications and Digital Economy is collaborating with the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to ensure citizens with Bank Verification Number (BVN) are automatically provided with the National Identification Number (NIN).

The Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Dr. Isa Pantami, disclosed this on Monday when he led a delegation of chief executive officers on a visit to Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) and a private enrolling center in Abuja.

Pantami said after making a presentation to National Economic Sustainability Committee, his attention and that 0f the CBN Governor were drawn to the need to replace BVN with NIN.

Read Also: NIMC Staff Suspend Strike

He said since then, the two establishments had been working on the initiative, adding that CBN had more workload to facilitate the process in order to make it much easier for Nigerians.

According to Pantami, the challenge is that the BVN records may not be 100 percent the same as the NIN, but what is most important is that the NIN is the primary identity of every legal resident in the country.

He said “BVN is a policy of a bank and has not been established by law.

“The NIMC Act 2007 provides that all our citizens must enroll and the law gives them 60 days to enroll from the time the law was enacted and a maximum of 180 days.

“All permanent residents in the country and legal residents that have to stay here for a minimum of 24 months must enroll so that the primary identification of all and all other databases are supposed to utilize this and not for NIN to utilize the BVN because it is the primary one.

Read Also: Ecobank To Partner Ogun Govt. On Agriculture, Empowerment, Health

“Some of the challenges encountered, NIMC produced the template for registering citizens in the passport, BVN and others but some institutions did not comply with the requirements.

“Even in biometrics, some will just take four, some two, so you cannot harmonize without upgrading and integrating the system.”

He listed members on the board of NIMC, which include CBN Governor, DG SSS, Chairman FIRS, INEC Chairman, Office of National Security Adviser, National Population Commission, and Nigeria Immigration Service as members.

He hinted that the Federal Government had accredited 203 operators that would help enroll citizens to secure their NIN, adding that the visit was to oversee how the exercise had been.

Mr. Okechukwu Ikpe, the Chief Executive Officer of Office Machines Nigeria Limited, one of the accredited operators center that was visited by the minister expressed delight and assured that the center would do its best to meet with expectations.

On her path, Mrs. Regina Omenogor, Stock Controller, Gloworld, Abuja, showed appreciation and commended President Muhammadu Buhari for the initiative, adding that a lot of people can just walk in and register.

“It is accessible now and since we work for a private organization, we maintain all the COVID-19 protocols as directed by Nigerian Centre for Disease Control and the presidency, ” she said.

Read Also: NIMC Staff Embark On Strike, Here’s Why

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the delegation included the Executive Vice-Chairman of the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Director General of the National Identity Management Commission (NIMC), and the Director-General of the National Information Technology Development Agency (NITDA).

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

Published

on

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

Homeowners and traders in the Fagba area of Lagos, have reacted to the ongoing demolition of properties and business outlets by the Lagos State Government (LASG).

Newsrand learnt that LASG has started taking steps towards preparing the ground for the construction of a flyover at the Fagba junction in the Ifako /Ijaiye local government area of the state.

Already, demolition of properties along Iju road and other adjoining roads is now ongoing.

The ongoing demolition, according to top government officials who spoke on the condition of anonymity, is to pave way for the new bridge that is being contemplated by the state government.

The sources said the project, which was initiated by former governor Akinwunmi Ambode, will ease the flow of traffic on Iju road and the access to Abule Egba axis, linking the Lagos/Abeokuta road, upon its completion.

Not only that, but the Fagba bridge will also ease the movement of motorists going to Ishaga in Lagos state, as well as Agbado, Alagbole, Akute, Sango, and Oke Aro areas, all in Ogun State.

However, when our correspondent visited the area, he discovered that while landlords were unbothered about the demolition, traders were unhappy about it, as they claimed it has affected their businesses.

Fagba: Landlords, Traders React As LASG Continue Demolition

“Although, our shops have been marked for demolition since last year, we were given a quit notice just three weeks before the demolition. So, I’m seriously not happy about it because it affected me. Now, I had to move my goods away from my store because there is no space for them,” an affected trader lamented.

One Chidinma Eze, a hairdresser, said the demolition didn’t favour her in any way. Her words: “I should be in my shop attending to customers, but that’s not possible anymore, because there is no more shop. So, I can only attend to my clients on the roadside, which is not good.”

A landlord, who didn’t want his name mentioned in this report, said he was compensated for her affected building, likewise every other person whose building has been demolished.

Commenting on the matter, Segun Akinleye, CDA Chairman, Alafia-Tayo Orile Iju, revealed that “those whose structures were touched have received money from the Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu government.”

According to him, the houses already marked for demolition, but yet to be touched, was because the property owners were yet to receive compensations.

He, however, heaped praises on the incumbent Lagos government, as he encouraged other state governments to adopt such an approach in developing infrastructures in their states.

Continue Reading

General News

BREAKING: Court Orders Immediate Release Of Shiekh El-Zakzaky, Wife

Published

on

BREAKING: Court Orders Immediate Release Of Shiekh El-Zakzaky, Wife

A Kaduna state high court, on Wednesday, July 28, 2021, ruled in favour of the leader of the Islamic Movement of Nigeria (IMN), Shiekh Ibrahim El-zakzaky, ordering his immediate release from the custody of the Department of State Services (DSS).

According to a statement issued by IMN signed by Ibrahim Musa, its media chief, El-Zakzaky and his wife, Zeenah, emerged victorious in court after their defence team filed a “no case submission”.

The statement read: “Today, Wednesday, 28/07/2021 the Kaduna State High Court presided by Justice Gideon Kurada delivered a favourable judgement in the “no case submission” filed by the defense lawyers on the case brought against the leader of the Islamic Movement in Nigeria, Sheikh Ibraheem Zakzaky and his wife, Malama Zeenah Ibrahim, who were standing trial for sundry trumped up charges, including that of aiding and abetting culpable homicide punishable by death. With this victory in court today, the false charges filed against them has finally been punctured for good after almost five years of excruciating illegal detention.”

“This judgement has not only vindicated them and all members of the Islamic movement in Nigeria, but it is certainly a victory for perseverance in the face of extreme persecution by the Nigerian government. It is a victory for truth and justice against tyranny and impunity.”

“It will be recalled that the Kaduna state government filed charges against Sheikh Zakzaky and his wife as an afterthought a year and a half after a federal high court in Abuja had ruled that their continued detention was unconstitutional, illegal and a severe breach of their fundamental rights and thereby must be set free and compensated. The government however remained in contempt until they decided to frame these spurious false charges in an attempt to perpetually keep them in their illegal custody.”

“We, therefore, give praises to the Almighty for yet another successful outing.”

Newsrand understands that El-Zakzaky and his wife have been facing trial since 2015 on an eight-count charge bordering on alleged culpable homicide, disruption of the public peace, unlawful assembly among other charges.

Continue Reading

General News

Daily Headline News (Wednesday, 28-7-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

Trending