Connect with us

General News

President Buhari To Address Rescued Kankara Students

Published

on

President Buhari To Address Rescued Kankara Students

President Muhammadu Buhari plans to speak with the 344 students of Government Science Secondary School, Kankara, Katsina State, after Juma’at Service on Friday.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that the Nigerian leader who is completing a week-long visit to his country home, Daura, Katsina State, would perform Friday’s Juma’at prayer in Daura before meeting the rescued students.

The president had on Thursday night welcomed the release of the kidnapped students describing their safe return as a big relief to their families, the entire country, and to the international community.

Read Also: How We Secured Abducted Katsina Schoolboys’ Releases -Gov

He also expressed the nation’s appreciation for the steps taken by all those involved to make their release possible.

NAN reports that the 344 rescued students, who arrived in Katsina on Friday morning amidst tight security, were received by the state governor, Aminu Masari, and some government officials.

Masari, who later addressed newsmen, urged Nigerians to continue to pray until normalcy returned to the state and the country in general.

Read Also: President Buhari Sacks NDE Boss Argungu

He stressed that ensuring security was a responsibility of all.

He said: “This incident happened in Kankara, but the whole state is affected; every local government has students in the school, some are even from other states.

“We are all involved; the entire state and the country are like one body. If one part of the body is sick, the whole body is sick.

“For students, this should be part of your history and part of the journey to adulthood.

“I’m sure this should permanently be in your mind; some of the things that took place, you will only understand them later in life.

Read Also: President Buhari Sacks NDE Boss Argungu

“As leaders, we will continue to discharge our responsibility as the government in the state.

“You suffered physically, mentally, and psychologically, but let me assure you that we have suffered more.

“Your parents have suffered; whatever you do, you should thank Allah and your parents and pray that this incident not only to yourselves, will never happen to anybody again,’’

Gunmen abducted the students from their school last week.

General News

Amid Terrorism Scandal, Pantami Lifts Ban On SIM Card Registration

Published

on

Amid Terrorism Scandal, Pantami Lifts Ban On SIM Card Registration

Isa Pantami, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy has lifted the ban on SIM card registration with a mandatory National Identity Number (NIN).

According to Dr. Femi Adeluyi, the minister’s Technical Assistant (Information Technology), who made this disclosure in a statement seen by Newsrand, starting from April 19, 2021, the approval for the activation of the new SIM card registration will take effect.

The statement read: “For IoT/M2M activations, SIM security protocols would be implemented on the SIM profile to ensure that SIMs can only be used for point-to-point data services specific to the URL they are working with. All other services will be barred.

“In the event that a data-only service is particular to individual use (eg home car tracking, WiFi, MiFi services, etc), the standard NIN registration process will be followed. A Telecoms Master will also be required for Corporates requiring IoT/M2M activations.”

Speaking on the NIN registration progress, Adeluyi added that the biometric verification process had been slower than anticipated, owing largely to the non-adherence of many previous SIM biometric capture processes to the National Identity Management Commission standards.

He said the revised policy would ensure that operators conform to the required standards for biometric capture.

He stated, “The implementation of the policy will commence on Monday, 19th of April 2021. The issuance of new SIMs and other suspended activities will resume on the same date, as long as verification is done and the guidelines are fully adhered to.

“The minister has also directed Nigerian Communications Commission and NIMC to ensure that the provisions of the policy are strictly followed by all operators and subscribers.”

As reported on Newsrand, Pantami had been linked with global extremist groups –the Taliban and Al-Qaeda, after declaring support for them in his past preachings.

Inquisitive Nigerians are however curious if the minister’s move was to divert attention from his terrorism scandal…

Continue Reading

General News

Daily Headline News (Thursday,15-4-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

General News

‘FG Still Disturbed Over Missing Chibok Girls’ – Presidency

Published

on

'FG Still Disturbed About Missing Chibok Girls' - Presidency

The Presidency has given hope to parents and guardians of the missing Chibok girls, that their release is still a work in progress as the Government is also bothered.

This was disclosed in a State House Press Release in their official Twitter handle, as the Presidency gives reassurance to parents and all concerned citizens.

READ ALSO: Police Say Rescued Trafficked Children Are Yet To Be Claimed

“No one is giving up hope here. Efforts to secure their release through various channels and activities of the security and intelligence agencies remain on course.

“The recent decisive push by the military against the terrorists gives hope that a breakthrough is possible and could happen anytime soon.

The government asks Nigerians to render aid and prayers to the military and understand with them as they discharge their historic mandate to quickly finish off the insurgency war and free all citizens held hostage.

 

HOW IT  ALL STARTED:

On the 14th night of April 2014, seven years from today, 276 female students from the Government Girls Secondary School, Chibok, Borno State were kidnapped.

The kidnappers broke into the school, pretending to be guards, although according to sources, a few hours prior to the raid, residents in Chibok had received phone calls from neighboring villages warning them of the incoming attack, who had witnessed convoys containing armed insurgents driving in the direction of the town.

57 of the schoolgirls escaped by jumping from the trucks in which they were being transported, while the others were being transported to Sambisa Forest around Lake chad.

The girls were forced into marriage with members of Boko Haram, with a supposed”bride price” of ₦2,000 each.

In 2015 a video of proof of life was released when Stephen Davis contacted the militants’ commanders during negotiation to release the girls. Some of the girls were down with an illness.

After negotiations, the deal fell through as the girls were unable to gain freedom.

In 2017, Rakiya Abubakar, One of the kidnapped girls was reported to have been found by the Nigerian Army along with a 6-month-old baby while they were interrogating suspects detained in army raids on the Sambisa forest.

82 further schoolgirls were released on 6 May following successful negotiations between the Nigerian government and Boko Haram, involving the exchange of five Boko Haram leaders.

2018, Salomi Pogu, one of the Chibok girls was rescued by the Nigerian military near Pulka, Borno State. She was also found with a child.

Concerned Nigerians still clamor for the release of the remaining 112 schoolgirls, as the Government reassures them of their unrelenting search.

Continue Reading

Subscribe to our Newsletter



Trending

Subscribe to our Newsletter