Connect with us

General News

NASU Warns Of Impending Strike In Universities, Polytechnics

Published

on

NASU Warns Of Impending Strike In Universities, Polytechnics
Makolo Hassan, NASU President

The Non-Academic Staff Union of Educational and Associated Institutions (NASU) has issued a 14-day ultimatum to the Federal Government to address anomalies in the nation’s Research Institutes and Integrated Payroll and Personnel Information System (IPPIS).

The union’s president, Dr Makolo Hassan, in a statement following its National Executive Council (NEC) on Thursday, said the union was warming up for a total shut down.

According to him, NASU is an arm of the Joint Health Sector Unions (JOHESU).

Read Also: Why Lecturers Will Never Agree To Be Paid Through IPPIS -ASUU

For almost 10 years, the government has failed to honour the content of the agreement it freely entered into with the Joint Research and Allied Institutions Sector Unions (JORAISU) as contained in the year 2010 JORAISU/FGN Agreement.

“The underlisted issues include payment of twelve months arrears of 53.37 per cent salary increase, peculiar allowances and earned allowances.

“Also, the retirement age of 65 years for Non-Research staff as obtainable in the universities, withdrawal of circular on non-skipping of Salary Grade Level 10, that is the National Industrial Court’s judgement delivered in favour of the trade unions.

“Others include the establishment of a central body to be known as National Research Institutes Commission (NARICOM), adequate funding of Research Institutes and release of conditions of service, ” he said.

Read Also: DICON, NMDC Sign MoU To Boost Research, Local Production Of Military Equipment

The union leader said that the government had yet to address the issues in spite of several reminders, strikes and Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) entered into with the government on the matter.

Hassan said: “We, therefore, use the opportunity of this meeting to request the government to act speedily, particularly on the issue of the 12 months arrears.

Except some concrete steps are taken within the next 14 days, NASU members in all the research institutes in Nigeria will be compelled to commence strike to press home their demand in this regard,” he said.

The union leader also said that the government had not lived to its promise of a hitch-free migration on the IPPIS, as according to him, IPPIS has demonstrated a high level of incompetence and inefficiency.

Read Also: ASUU Urges FG To Take Out IPPIS As Condition To Call Off Strike

He said that the union’s experience since it migrated to the platform had been a painful one.

All efforts to get government and the office of the Accountant General of the Federation (AGF) to redress the noticeable shortcomings has not yielded a positive result.

“The noticeable shortcomings include non-payment of salaries to some staff, underpayment of salaries, non-payment of approved allowances as contained in the year 2009 FGN/NASU Agreement as well as failure to pay check-off dues to the union as and when due.

“Others are nonpayment of promotion arrears, non-deduction of welfare scheme, high taxation, non-release of payslips to workers, delay in payment of salaries and non-release of the schedule of payments made.

Read Also: Labour Unions Get New Court Order To Stop Planned Strike

“In the face of these challenges and the lukewarm attitude of the government and IPPIS office toward redressing these shortcomings, NASU may have no choice than to embark, as soon as possible, on a full-blown strike in the universities and inter-universities centres.

“Also, in polytechnics and colleges of education, except something is done very urgently to positively remedy the situation,’’ Hassan said. 

Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

General News

Daily Headline News (Thursday, 28-6-2021)

Published

on

Here are the top 5 news of the day.

Continue Reading

General News

e-Naira: CBN Alerts Public Of Fraudsters On Social Media

Published

on

e-Naira: CBN Alerts Public Of Fraudsters On Social Media

The Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) has advised Nigerians to be wary of fraudsters who have been posting fraudulent messages relating to the e-Naira launched recently.

Mr. Osita Nwanisobi, Director, Corporate Communications, said in a statement posted on the bank’s website on Wednesday, that the bank was not disbursing e-Naira currency to citizens as claimed by the fraudsters.

“Following the formal launch of the eNaira on Monday, Oct. 25, the attention of the Central Bank of Nigeria has been drawn to criminal and illegal activities of some individuals and a fraudulent Twitter handle, @enaira_cbdc purported to belong to the Bank.

READ ALSO: We Are Not Aware of Otedola’s Acquisition of Major Stakes-FBN

The impostor handle and fraudulent persons have been posting messages related to the e-Naira with the intent of wooing unsuspecting Nigerians with claims that the Central Bank of Nigeria, among other falsities, is disbursing the sum of 50 Billion e-Naira currency.

“These impostors are bent on defrauding innocent and unsuspecting members of the public through the links attached to their messages for application to obtain eNaira wallets and become beneficiaries of the said 50 billion e-Naira currency.

“For the avoidance of doubt, the Central of Nigeria is not the owner of that Twitter handle (@enaira_cbdc) and indeed suspended its presence on Twitter following the Federal Government’s ban. In effect, the Bank is not disbursing e-Naira currency to citizens,’’ Nwanisobi said.

He urged Nigerians to always endeavor to seek clarifications on information about the eNaira either by visiting the e-Naira website: www.enaira.gov.ng or calling the e-Naira contact center on 080069362472 or visiting any CBN Branch nearest to them.

He also advised anyone seeking clarity to visit the digital currency’s current official social media handles: www.facebook.com/myenaira; www.instagram.com/myenaira and www.youtube.com/myenaira.

Nwanisobi urged that suspicious activity by members of the public should be reported to the CBN using helpdesk@enaira.gov.ng or to relevant law enforcement agencies. 

Continue Reading

General News

Corrupt Immigration Officers Removed After Comptroller’s Investigation

Published

on

Corrupt Immigration Officers Removed After Comptroller’s Investigation

Following an undercover investigation by Isa Jere Idris, the acting Comptroller-General of Nigeria Immigration Service (NIS), which uncovered corrupt practises, some officials of the service have been removed from their respective offices.

As reported on Newsrand, Idris ordered the arrest of some NIS corrupt officials after he disguised as a passport applicant on Monday, October 18, 2021.

In a follow-up to the undercover investigation, some officers were removed from their offices, leading to a shakeup in the service.

Amongst those affected was the passport control officer at the Ikoyi passport office under the Lagos State Command of the NIS, Ibrahim Liman, a deputy comptroller of immigration.

Liman’s counterparts at the Ikeja and FESTAC Town passport offices of the NIS, N.J Dashe and Adeola Adesokan respectively, have also been removed from their offices.

While Liman and Adesokan have been transferred to the service headquarters in Abuja, Nigeria’s capital, Dashe has been transferred to the zone ‘A’ command of the service which covers both Ogun and Lagos states.

A deputy comptroller of immigration service, Abolupe Oladoyin Bewaji, has been appointed as Liman’s replacement while Dashe and Adesokan were replaced by R.L Bukar and S. Umar, both of whom are also deputy comptrollers of immigration.

The new posting is contained in an internal memo.

The memo, signed by the deputy comptroller general of NIS in charge of human resources, A.B Yarima, noted that the new posting is with immediate effect.

“I am directed to convey approval for the following posting with immediate effect,” the memo reads in part, listing eight officers concerned.

Also affected in the new reshuffle include A.I Bambale, who has been moved from zone ‘A’ command to the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja.

Bambale, a comptroller of immigration service, was replaced by Sunday James, who was moved from the Nnamdi Azikiwe International Airport in Abuja to zone ‘A’ in Lagos.

James is the immediate past spokesperson for the service who was replaced in June by an assistant comptroller of immigration, Amos Okpu.

Continue Reading

Trending